Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

Im looking for the trailer wiring diagram for a 2002 Ford

I'm looking for the trailer wiring diagram for a 2002 Ford Expedition. I want to replace the 4pin with a 7pin.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

Hello there,

Here they are:

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi. Not really what I was looking for but most likely because of the way I asked the question. I have a cable harness with 6 wires (to the back of the expedition) that connect to another harness that has the 4-pin in-line connector. I removed the 4-pin harness and I am trying to determine the pinout for the six wires to connect a 7-way trailer connector. It seems that the standard yellow, green, brown wires work as expected. However, there is a blue, orange, and black that don't work and I can't figure out what is the trailer brake wire, auxiliary power wire, etc... So, does ford have a standard SAE color coding for their trailer harness and is it possible the other wires are not connected at the fuse box if the Expedition came with a 4-pin connector.
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

Hello again,

You will need to check the fuse box under the hood to see f the fuses and relays are present. & Using a test light to see if each circuit is hot when it should be.

Then you just match the terminal positions on the trailer connector to the proper circuit.[plug shown in 3 rd diagram of orginal answer] The color of the wire on the plug makes no difference, just match it to the proper circuit by location using the proper wire color on the truck.

I would print and save the fuse box diagrams so you can take out to truck with you.

If the truck does not have the wiring there in the battery junction box, everything would have to be manually wired for it. You would have to have a trailer brake controller added to the under dash area, this was never original equipment on your vehicle.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic