Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Replace a camshaft poistion sensor on a 1997 ford thunderbird 3.8L

Customer Question

how do you replace a camshaft poistion sensor on a 1997 ford thunderbird 3.8L
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Enclosed are complete instructions.

graphic

INSTALLATION

1. Attach Syncro Positioning Tool T96T-12200-A on camshaft position sensor housing and turn it clockwise until tool boss engages notch in camshaft position sensor housing. CAUTION: Special service tool Syncro Positioning Tool T96T-12200-A must be obtained prior to installation of the camshaft position sensor. Failure to follow this procedure will result in improper camshaft position sensor alignment. This will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage.
  2. Transfer oil pump intermediate shaft from old camshaft position sensor housing to replacement housing.
  3. Install camshaft position sensor housing so drive gear engagement occurs when arrow on locator tool is pointed as shown in the illustration. This step will locate the camshaft position sensor electrical connector in the pre-removal position.
  4. Rotate Syncro Positioning Tool T96T-12200-A clockwise slightly. This will engage the oil pump intermediate shaft. Push downward adjusting the Syncro Positioning Tool T96T-12200-A until the syncro gear engages the camshaft gear.
  5. Install hold-down clamp and retaining bolt and tighten bolt to 20-30 N-m (15-22 lb ft).
  6. Remove Syncro Positioning Tool T96T-12200-A.
  7. Install camshaft position sensor and retaining screws. Tighten screws to 2.5-3.5 Nm (22-30 lb in). CAUTION: If camshaft position sensor electrical connector is not positioned properly, DO NOT reposition the connector by rotating the camshaft position sensor housing. This will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage. Remove the camshaft position sensor housing and repeat installation procedure, beginning with Step 1.
  8. Connect fuel charging wiring connector to camshaft position sensor.
  9. Connect battery ground cable.

The Camshaft Position Sensor is located at the lower RF front of engine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have read that you have to set the # XXXXX cylinder to 26 degrees past TDC on the compression stroke is this actually nessary if so how do you do that
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
I have done it with out doing this , you just have to make sure you do not move the engine and the sensor has to go back in the same excate spot. Other wise the crankshaft pulley should be marked up to 30 degrees.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so if the engine is making noise and the sounds out of timing you can still replace the CPS without setting the cylinder to 26 degrees past TDC? How does the engine get back in sync or back in time again?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
If its the synchronizer making nosies it has to be replaced. It dosnt get out of sync if it not rotated when you pull the old one out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i havent replaced the CPS yet.. the engine is making like a knocking sound and almost sounds like a diesel when idling.. once the CPS is changed will that eliminate this? the only code for the check engine light was for a faulty CPS and the oil light is on but the oil lever is fine.. i just dont want to do more damage to the enigine..
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

When the cam sensor goes bad , in most case its not a knocking noise but a squealing noise. The oil light being on may also indicate low oil pressure. I would check both.