SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

How can I remove the EGR valve of a 1995 Ford Thunderbird?

HelloCustomer do you have the 3.8l v-6, or the 4.6l v-8? Are you replacing for a code or do you know it is defective?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well I have the 4.6L V8 engine. What I am trying to do is remove the EGR valve to replace the Head gasket on the top intake manifold.
The head gasket or intake manifold gasket, because I will send you the complete instructions. I am just confused on exactly which gasket you are replacing as the head gaskets separate the cylinder heads from the engine block and are not on the top intake manifold
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Top Intake manifold Gasket

Judging from the workshop manual it is wanting you to disconnet the egr tube from the exhaust manifold from under the vehicle. see step 15 in the attached instructions. Let me know if this helps you at all, I will do a little research to see if there is an easier way.

DOWNLOAD HERE

.

The workshop manual for removing just the valve is very limited at best.

graphic

Do these illustrations get you any closer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Space is still limited to work with. I would have to need a line of wobble sockets to curve to the back and finish the job but the manual seems more reasonable through the bottom
You are right about that, sometimes feels like you need monkey arms to reach this stuff. The engineers really do not consider us when they design this stuff.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried disassembling the EGR valve from the top intake manifold but I was unsuccessful.

Yes, patience is a virtue. A good set of jack stand should give you the room you need from the underside

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
AS we are replying I tried both ways through the top and bottom. However thank you for your insight. Whenever there is another problem that i cannot solve I will probably come back to this website.m Thank you again.
Thank you and good luck!