SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger with 5 speed manual transmission

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger with 5 speed manual transmission (133,000 miles). Yesterday, when I was down shifting to second gear, after making a turn, the clutch did not re-engage and I had no power to transmission. After a few seconds, the clutch engaged with a jerk. I continued to shift gears and drive with no problem or slippage. The next time I down shifted to second gear, the problem occurred again with same result ( engaged after a few seconds with a jerk). This problem did not repeat the next time I down shifted, but I have not driven the truck since then.

Any idea what my problem may be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.
Is your truck a 4X4?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. it is a 4 cylinder plan Jane Ranger. Although miles are high, most of them are highway. Drove truck this morning and no problem or evidence of slippage.

One additional piece of information. The day problem occurred, the temperature was 104 degrees.

looking forward to your answer.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.

This is such a unique symptom, I have not experience this type of concern before. The most logical cause of the symptom is in the clutch release bearing binding and not returning to the at rest position when the pedal is released, you can confirm this theory by performing a test. The next time it happens if the release bearing is bound you will have an incredibly soft clutch pedal, if it comes up at all it will take very little force to push it back down. If this happens get under the truck and remove the rubber inspection plug on the lower drivers side of the transmission bell housing and spray some wd-40 up inside on the tube portion of the slave cylinder that the release bearing rides on, try not to get too much overspray on the clutch disc itself, then excercise the clutch pedal seveal times to break up the dirt and dust that may be binding the release bearing If this does not correct the symptom, you may need to replace the slave cylinder and release bearing assembly.

graphicgraphic