Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years Dealership experience, Ford Senior Master Technician since 2000, ASE Master since 1985

Removing exterior door handle on 1996 ford explorer. I have

Removing exterior door handle on 1996 ford explorer. I have done everything inside of the door but I can not figure out how to remove the actual handle (rear drivers side passenger door) I disconnected everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have spent all day on this now..

You will need to prop open the handle and drill out the two pop rivets holding it on to the door. It takes a larg pop rivet gun to reattach the handle. It should be a 1/4" drill bit to drill out the rivets. Let me know if you nee more help or information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did that but it still will not come out. The handle sit on a black mount (I guess). Is there a rivet or screw that holds the mount in? There is a small hole on the inside but it has black foam in it. I was trying to tear it out with a screw driver thinking that maybe there is a screw holding that mount it. I call it a mount because the actual handle is attatched to it. That 'mount' is where I already took out the two rivets that you talk about. There also seems to be notches on the black mount inside of the door that lip over the sheet metal, but I have bent the sheet metal enough that those two notches should clear the metal now.

The handle should come out of this piece. I know that the handle is sometimes a little hard to get out of the door, but should come out. I think this piece is an optional trim piece on certain models.

1 22404 Door Handle
2 22152 Front Door Latch Actuator Rod
3 388047-S102 Rivet (2 Req'd Each Side)
4 N801054-S39B Washer
5 22008 Door Latch Striker Plate
6 22024 Door Latch Plate
7 26596 Rear Door Latch Actuator Rod
A - Tighten to 33-45 Nm
(25-33 Lb-Ft)