kevin
kevin, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  7 years
16628555

2003 FORD EXPLORER: HEADS..TIMING CHAIN..A CHATTERING NOISE JUST LIKE

I HAVE A 2003 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L SOHC AND JUST REPLACED HEADS AND TIMING CHAIN AND GUIDES. AFTER STARTING THE ENGINE I AM HEARING A CHATTERING NOISE JUST LIKE WHEN TIMING GUIDE IS BROKEN. I DOUBLE CHECKED TO SEE IF DURING INSTALLATION I MAY HAVE BROKEN ONE, BUT THERE ARE BOTH INTACT. THE NOISE SEEMS TO BE COMING FROM THE FRONT OF ENGINE. I RAN THE ENGINE FOR ONLY A SHORT TIME(BETWEEN 3 TO 5 MINUTES) SINCE I HESRD THE NOISE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO LOOK FOR.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kevin replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes when you replace the cylinder heads the new ones will make noise like that for a little bit, also, the tensioners for the timing chain giudes are hydraulic so they wont put tension on the chains untill a sufficiant amount of oil pressure builds up. If the noise doesnt go away after the engine hits operating temp then you have have an internal issue such as the chain tensioners not building pressure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HAVE YOU EVER COME ACROSS NOISE FROM THE BALANCE SHAFT? EVEN THOUGHT I CHECKED ALL OF THAT FOR BROKEN FRAGMENTS OF THE REAR GUIDE WHICH BROKEN BEFORE INITIAL REMOVAL. ONE THING THAT STUNNED ME BEFORE THE REPAIR WAS MADE, WAS A VACUM SOUND WHEN THE KEY WAS TURNED ON RIGHT BEFORE THE ENGINE STARTED, I WOULDN'T HEAR THE CHATTERING OF THE CHAIN, BUT IF THE VACUM SOUND WASN'T MADE, YOU WOULD HEAR THE NOISE FOR SHORT TIME DURING START UP. HAVE YOU EVER ENCOUNTERED ANYTHING LIKE THIS? I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS RELATED TO WHAT I'M EXPERIENCING RIGHT NOW.
Expert:  kevin replied 5 years ago.
I never came across a noisy balance that would make the noise your describeing, it almost sounds like the timing is off, are you positive the timing is accurate? Did you use new tensioners?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I USED ONE NEW TENSIONER FOR THE HEAD FOR CYLINDER 4,5,6 BUT HE NOISE NEVER CHANGED. IT STILL SOUNDS LIKE A TIMING CHAIN NOISE AND I WOULD SAY THAT THE TIMING IS ACCURATE, BUT I'LL DOUBLE CHECK THAT. THE NOISE THAT I DESCRIBED BEFORE WAS NOT COMING FROM THE BALANCE SHAFT IT'S JUST A SOUND THAT THE CUSTOMER BROUGHT IT TO MY ATTENTION. IT SOUNDED WEIRD TO ME BEFORE I HEARD IT FOR MYSELF. THE NOISE THAT THOUGHT THE BALANCE SHAFT WAS MAKING I FIGURED MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE CHATTERING SOUND

Expert:  kevin replied 5 years ago.
First thing we should start with is to first let the engine warm up if the noise gets louder as the engine warms up then shut it down and let cool and retry, I put new heads on 5.4 and it made ticking noises untill it warmed up and lubricated, this is normal, if the concern still isnt fixed you need to use a auto stethascope and determine if the noise is coming from the front of the bank 2 head or from the rear of the bank 1 head, if its the bank 1 head (passenger) the ewngine will have to come out so you can get at the rear cassete
kevin, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 7 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THE ENGINE WAS REMOVED AND I CHECKED THE REAR CASSETE, EVERYTHING IS GOOD AND SO IS BANK TWO. THAT'S WHY TURNED TO YOU TO SEE IF YOU MAY HAVE COME ACROSS SOMETHING LIKE THIS. I THINK I WILL TRY TO RUN THE ENGINE A LITTLE LONGER LIKE YOU SAID. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INFO KEVIN I'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS.