lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

The air conditioner, there is a clicking noise..noise stops..belt

When turning on the air conditioner, there is a clicking noise. When the air conditioner turns off, the noise stops after 4-5 seconds followed by a short swish burst. I noticed the noise seems to be coming from a wheel which a belt wraps around. The wheel spins when the AC is turned on and makes a clicking noise. The wheel stops when the AC is turned off and so does the clicking after 4-5 seconds. Any thoughts on what the part is called that is making the noise?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Ford?
-What model is your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L engine
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.

Here is a diagram, is the part your talking about #9 in the diagram?

When it is clicking, how many time does it click in 30 seconds?

Is the air conditioner cooling good?

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not see a diagram or a link to the diagram. Was it missed being attached?

The air conditioner still cools.

The clicking noise occurs too many times to count. Its a constant chchchchch and ends with a waaaawmmm pwuh.
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.

here is the diagram again, sorry.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, #9 is the exact part I'm referring to. What is it called, is it easy to replace? And what type of cost would I be looking at?(Range Estimate is okay)
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the reply, that is the A/C compressor, there is a clutch, coil and a pulley attached to the front of the compressor, with the way your describing the concern, there may be a coil problem, worst case scenario if the compressor is shot, there are a few other components that will need to be replaced also due to contamination of the system, your looking around $1200.00, best case scenario if its just a coil concern around $400.00, hope this helps.

Click ACCEPT for the Answer and please leave a FEEDBACK, Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
#9 within the diagram itself says "A/C clutch pully"

Is that the same as a compressor? Or is the compressor a part that is different than #9 within the diagram?
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.

The clutch pulley is attached to the A/C compressor, there are three componets attached to the compressor, the field coil, which enguages the clutch to operate the compressor, when the clutch is energized it pulls aginst the pulley that inturn is making the compressor operate, when the clutch is energized thats where the clicking noise comes from, here is a diagram .

graphic

NOTE:

• Internal A/C compressor components are not serviced separately. The SC115 A/C compressor is serviced only as an assembly. The clutch plate, clutch pulley and bearing, and clutch field coil are serviceable.
  • Installation of a new receiver/drier is not required when repairing the air conditioning system except when there is physical evidence of system contamination from a failed A/C compressor or damage to the receiver/drier.

The SC115 A/C compressor has the following characteristics:

• Tangential mount design - three lugs.
  • The single manifold block of the compressor manifold and tube assembly fits to the suction and discharge ports. Two O-ring seals are used for sealing.
  • An eccentric bushing is driven by the shaft of the A/C compressor.
  • An orbiting scroll driven by the eccentric bushing compresses the refigerant gas against the walls of the fixed scroll.
  • Single reed-type discharge valve mounted on the back of the fixed scroll. There are no suction valves.
  • Non-serviceable shaft seal fully supported on both sides by bearings.
  • The A/C compressor uses PAG oil or equivalent. This oil contains special additives required for the A/C compressor.
  • The A/C compressor oil from vehicles equipped with an SC115 A/C compressor may have some slightly dark-colored streaks while maintaining normal oil viscosity. This is normal for this A/C compressor because of break-in wear of the scroll seals that can discolor the oil.
  • Use standard oil matching procedures when installing new compressors.

When battery voltage is applied to the A/C compressor clutch field coil, the clutch plate and hub assembly is drawn toward the A/C clutch pulley. The magnetic force locks the clutch plate and hub assembly and the A/C clutch pulley together as one unit, causing the compressor shaft to rotate. When battery voltage is removed from the A/C compressor clutch field coil, springs in the clutch plate and hub assembly move the clutch plate away from the A/C clutch pulley.

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.