lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

2002 F350: the front wheel hub assembly..4WD..dually..seal

Customer Question

Can you send me an explosive view of the front wheel hub assembly for a Ford 2002 F350 4WD dually? Does anything go between the hub and the seal? I have a part that looks like a washer that is approx 3 inches in diameter and I'm not sure where it goes. It was placed between the hub and seal by a mechanic and my 4WD wont lock in place.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

Hi superdave this is lostrider,

~Is the part plastic and looks like a thrust washer,has groves in it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, it seems to be hard plastic and has 4 grooves running from the center to the outside
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

thank you for the reply, its a thrust washer that goes between the axle and the wheel bearing hub assembly, there is no diagrams on this washer or its placement, but here is a diagram of the steering knuckle with the hub removed showing the axle, the thrust washer goes there and then the hub gets installed, hope this helps.

graphic

Click ACCEPT for the Answer and please leave a FEEDBACK!!!, Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Why does my 4WD not lock in on that side, and why can't i turn the axle by hand once it is assembled (it's too tight)? The driver side turns and locks in 4WD, but the passenger side won't. Both hub assemblies were replaced yesterday but i don't remember seeing a washer on the driver side. And how is the thrust washer installed, with the grooves facing inside toward the engine, or outside toward the tire?
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.
The thrust washer is installed with the groves facing the wheel bearing, not the axle, and when you say both hub assemblies were replaced, are you talking about the inner hub and bearing and the lock out hub, or just the bearing hub?, all that thrust washer does is take up the slack for the axle shaft where it meets the inner hub, so the snap ring will fit tighter, some of the trucks dont come with that washer, you need to remove the lockout assembly and see if the hub turns then, if it does then there is a concern with the lockout assembly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The axle won't turn by hand, and it usually does after the hub is replaced. Both bearing hubs were replaced, and the passenger side is the one that won't lock in 4WD and cannot turn the axle after the hub is in place. The driver side locked in place and I could turn the axle itself after assembly.
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.
The axle shaft is not splined to the bearing hubs, its splined to the lockout hubs, so if the lockout hub is removed from that side and the axle still wont turn then there is a concern within the differential, now if it turns without the lockout hub on and wont turn with it on then there is a problem within the lockout assembly, if thats the case you can swap it from the other side to ensure that is the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
With the lockout off, and the hub off, I can turn the drivers side axle freely by hand. With the
lockout assembly off and the hub off on the passenger side, I can only get the axle to turn with a pry bar and it is very difficult at that. Would you know why one side is easily turned by hand , and the other side needs a pry bar to barely get it to move?
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.
There are a number of possibilities, the axle u-joint can cause this concern, if its got internal damage, there can be trash up in the axle tube restricting the axle movement, if the front differential is a limited slip, the clutches can cause this concern, there may be excessive play in the side gear for that axle, its gonna take some exploratory looking around to find the problem. but if the axle has to come out there are special tools required to replace the axle to knuckle seal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Before I replaced the seal yesterday, you could easily turn the axle. After it was replaced, I could not turn the axle. The seal was repaced once before and the axle could be turned by hand on both sides. It is only after the seal was changed that this happened that the axle wouln't turn. Turns on the driver side but not the passenger.
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

Was it the inner seal that was replaced at the knuckle?

If so, was the axle properly seated into the axle housing and side gear splines?

If the answer to both of those are yes, then you may need to remove the seal and see if the axle turns freely again, if it does then the seal is the cause, either not seated all the way into the knuckle properly or binding causing the concern.