Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

2003 F350: 6.0 liter..liter diesel..It cuts out and stalls

I have a 2003 F350 with 6.0 liter diesel. It cuts out and stalls on occassion when I take off from a stop. It always restarts and sometimes does it again.
Hi thereCustomer Any warning lamps? Ever have any trouble starting the truck in the morning? Ever replaced your fuel filters? Any smoke? After this happens it restarts alright? Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No check engine light, It is hard to start some mornings but very rarely. I have always replaced all filters on time. No smoke ever, it always restarts but sometimes stumbles and stalls again several times before it returns to normal, It is very intermittent. Also trans temp gauge pegs out after about 2-3 miles of driving from cold start. It is running mid range in the gauge and then in just a snap it pegs out. Could this indicate a possible connector/wiring problem at the PCM?

Hmmm this would be easier for you to diag if that check engine light was coming on. Ok the trans temp is most likely caused by a faulty fluid temp sensor that is located in the transmission pan. These fail frequently and it is possible that this could give you some driveability issues also. The 2003 6.0 had multiple wiring harness issues I believe that you may be experiencing them and this is causing the stall and running rough. The harness used to rub through on places on the engine and would intermittently short out causing all sorts of problems like yours. Now to find electrical problems it can be in depth unless it is obvious so look throughout the harness and with the truck running pull on the harness different ways and see if it stalls. I believe this is where we should start. Thanks Steve