chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

99 ford explorer, lr door latch is jammed, something in the

99 ford explorer, lr door latch is jammed, something in the latch itself is jammed, how to get door open to replace, I have tried everything?
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

Give this a try ,,it works for me every time

Roll down the window on the door that will not open ,,,

stand out side the truck and put one hand on the outside door handle

put your other hand on the power door lock switch for UNLOCK

Now at the same time hit the unlock button , again and again ,,over and over ,,,while you flip the outside door handle UP over and over again ...

and the door should open

you will need to replace the door latch and the exterior door handle ,,both will have springs in them that are broken

any more info on this ,,just ask , we can go back and forth on this page

Thanks,,,Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have the interior door panel off, so can see the latch, the unlock linkage on the latch itself will not move, seems to be jammed some how on the part of the latch that I cannot get to. Have you had one that you could not ever get open, because something inside the latch was broken?
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

OK -- if you have the door panel off ----then follow the rod from the outside door handle to the latch ,,,and lift UP on this rod ,,,,, then with the other hand pull UP on the lock rod knob ,,,and then you can release both and open the door ---try this

and no ,, I have never had one ,,,that I could not open ,,, on this unit ,,,

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The unlock part of the latch will not move! I studied the RH side, and know that the unlock must move to get the door open. I spent 8 hrs working on this, and cannot get the the unlock part of the latch to move period. So what do I do know, I think somthing internal to the latch is either bent or broken, jamming it
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

I work at a Ford dealer ,,,and what I see on this unit is that the lever on the door latch for the exterior door handle brakes ,,and then you can not unlock the door to get it open ,,, so when the spring brakes the lever is falls down a little and it will not alow the latch to unlock ,,, so if you lift up on on the outside door handle rod ,,going to the latch a little it will put the latch in to position for it to be unlocked and then you can pull up on the lock rod and unlock the door

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Chris,

The outside handle and linkage is fine, inside release handle and linkage is fine, again the problem is internal to the latch itself, the unlock part of the latch is either frozen, bent or dammaged on the part of the latch that is inaccessable.
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

graphic

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the linkage to the outside door handle ,,,I agree with you that the latch is bad and needs to be replaced ,,,, but take a look at the pic above ---number 1 is the outside door handle rod ,,,, this rod attaches to the door latch on a little lever ,,,, lift up on this little lever on the door latch , a bit and then try to unlock the door ---

what state are you in ,,,maybe you close to me ???

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm in MO. The little lever is free, it's the part that the little lever works that is frozen or broken, or bent. And yes I have pent. oil and wd40 on the latch to try to free that part. If you can go to ebay item 270244990891 you will see the little lever and the finger off of it, it's the part that the finger works that will not move.
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

I am in AZ

To bad,, I would have taken a look at it ... but anyway it looks like I am out of suggestions for you ,, and I will opt out of this question and see if anyone else out there has some info for you ..

Thanks,,Chris

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.
.