Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

I had a turn signal / flasher problem with my 97 ford f150

I had a turn signal / flasher problem with my 97 ford f150 and found some blown fuses for the trailer tow and flashers but I am still having problems resolving the turn signals. Is there a specific fuse or relay to check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
fuse 1 and 8 under hood number 18 interior fuse box
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My op manual must be different then yours says that

under hood

#1 is 20A fuse Fuel pump

#8 is Horn relay

inside fuse box

#18 is 10A fuse right lo beam

can you give the name for these fuses you listed

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

these are some of the fuses I already replaced

under hood

#24 25A fuse power point

#34 20A fuse trailer tow lamps

#5 20A in the engine fuse module

inside fuse box

#2 15A fuse emergency flasher

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

try number 23 interior fuse what does yours say?

the number 1 is trailor

number 8 is for the multifunction switch

number 18 is all lights and park relay

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

#23 interior fuse in my book is a 5A fuse insrtument panel illumination

I don't have any fuse in my book that is listed as a multifunction switch

or all lights and park relay.

how do you test a relay?

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

easiest way is to swap with another other than that you have to flip over the box and see if you are getting power.

Check the light blue wire at the turn signal switch and see if it pulses voltage when you press the turn signal to left or right?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the switch in the steering column? do i need to pull the bottom cover on the column?
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
just pull the cover around the column and remove the 2 screws holding the switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is it a solid light blue or a light blue with orage srtipe? I don't have my voltmeter so i used my 12 volt light tester. the wires to the flasher caused it to flash.

I checked the solid light blue and got nothing with turn but worked with flashers so i think it is a flasher wire.

the light blue with orange stripe gave me a steady very dim light with turn on or off

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
solid light blue it should pulse turn and the white with red stripe should pulse hazard.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

there were about four wires that would pulse with the hazard and none with the turn

The plug that has the solid light blue also includes the white w/red stripe (you said is the flasher wire), white w/blue, green w/white, sloid blue all these wires except a sold green one pulse with flashers

so I guess your answer is to replace the switch?

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
no i would check the flasher relay located on the passenger side of the dash under the access panel on the top of the dash toward middle. there will be a relay box one for blower and one for flasher swap and see if they work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is only one relay in that box. It is positioned in the top spot towards the engine side
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

check behind the metal brace and see if there isnt another relay box there

Tim, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I found a diagram online and it showes the blower / flasher under the drivers dash above the trailer brake control plug. There is a larger Blue relay and a smaller black relay

the one located under the passenger dash on this diagram says RPO relay block?

is this diagram correct for my 97 f150?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OH also I did recheck the one under pass dash could only see the one relay box. It has a small gray relay

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
yes yours is correct It seems my manual has a lot of mis info I will opt out and see if any one else can further assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Turn signals are now working. I reinstalled the turn signal swicth and It began working agian. Maybe a bad connection with steering column which doesn't make since cause it was working fine before I blew out the fuses.

Also figured out that the fuses and relays in my Op manual are in the same position but are numbered differently then the OP maual I found online at https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

thanks your advice did end up helping in the long run

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
you are very welcome