Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

po442 code is an evap code an says to check gas cap

po442 code is an evap code an says to check gas cap, evap canister, crack hose ,vent solenoid, vacuum leak at engine this is an exolorer01 4.0 the truck runs fine gas is good i looked at the canister an did not find anything wrong with it is there any thing that i can look check to find what is wrong

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer

The best way to trace the problem you are having (P0442 small leak detected) in most cases is you are going to need to have your Explorer hooked up to a smoke machine. Before doing that In many cases this code is set due to a loose gas cap and before I would do anything else, I would makes sure the gas cap is installed tightly and then remove the positive battery cable and reset the PCM. Drive the Explorer and see if the code returns. If the code returns then you will need to run the pinpoint test.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the gas cap is new what is a point test
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
The pinpoint test is the test that you would follow to find the problem, the most common reason for this code is a bad and or loose gas cap, if the cap is new than remove the positive battery cable and reset the PCM (computer) . If you need the pin point test , give me year and engine size and I can send it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
year is 01 engin size is 4.0 i did that an the light comes back on after one day
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Ok if the light is returning then you have a small leak in the EVAP system, the best method for finding it is with a smoke machine . I am enclosing the pinpoint test. Its for )442 and 443

DOWNLOAD HERE

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs