Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

How to get to thermostat on 98 ford windstar 3.8 litre v6 ?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Here are instructions, let me know if you have questions. Thanks

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Drain the engine cooling system until the engine coolant level is below the water thermostat. WARNING: NEVER REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY. TO AVOID HAVING SCALDING HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT OF THE COOLING SYSTEM OR RESERVOIR, USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE RADIATOR CAP FROM A HOT COOLING SYSTEM OR RESERVOIR. WAIT UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, THEN WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE RADIATOR CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY UNTIL PRESSURE BEGINS TO RELEASE. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN CERTAIN ALL PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE RADIATOR CAP (STILL WITH A CLOTH),TURN AND REMOVE RADIATOR CAP.
  3. Loosen upper radiator hose clamp at water hose connection and disconnect upper radiator hose from water hose connection retaining bolts and lift water hose connection clear of engine. CAUTION: Do not pry water hose connection off or damage to the vehicle may occur.
  4. Remove.
  5. Remove water thermostat by rotating counterclockwise in water hose connection until water thermostat becomes free.

INSTALLATION

graphic

1. Clean water outlet connection pocket and cylinder head mating faces.
  2. Place water thermostat in position, fully inserted and rotate clockwise in water hose connection to secure.
  3. Install water hose connection to intake manifold with a new water hose connection gasket. Tighten bolts to 8-11 Nm (71-96 inch lbs.) . NOTE: Make sure the hose clamp is beyond the bead and placed in the center of the clamping surface of the connection.

graphic

• Position upper radiator hose to water hose connection. Position the hose clamp between the alignment marks on end of upper radiator hose and slide upper radiator hose on water hose connection.
  • Connect battery ground cable.
  • Fill the radiator with the recommended 50/50 mixture of Ford Premium Cooling System Fluid and water. Operate the engine for several minutes and then check the hoses and connections for leaks.
  • Check engine coolant level as required.
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Im afraid you lost me on this one .How did you get in there to do this work?
    Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

It takes a little bit of looking around and manuvering, but you should be enough room to get a pair of pliars in there to remove coolant hose going to thermostat, once you get that hose removed there will be more room to access the two bolts. Loosen upper radiator hose clamp at water hose connection and disconnect upper radiator hose from water hose connection. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks again.

graphic

Dan, Technician
    Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I have paid three times for answers that i didn't know the anwer to but sorry this time was common sense.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    What I'm getting at is,is there a way of approaching the thermostat that that you mechanics use to open up the area to work in more by removing something? I realize that would make more work.
    Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

You can remove the air cleaner assembly to get some room. I would have appreciated if you would have asked me more questions before leaving me neutral feedback.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I have already done that too. Sorry for making you wait.I do some work on cars myself but i thought there was something i was not aware of that could be done here. By the way they tell me that you have been paid.
    Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I have been paid.....Thank You. You can get the thermostat out without removing anything else or you can remove the upper intake plenum. Its really up to you how much you want to remove or how much you feel you need to remove to be comfortable.

REMOVAL

1. Remove air cleaner outlet tube.
    2. Disconnect accelerator cable at throttle body. Disconnect speed control actuator cable, if equipped.
    3. Remove bolts retaining accelerator cable bracket and position accelerator cable bracket and cables aside.
    4. Disconnect vacuum lines from upper intake manifold.
    5. Disconnect necessary electrical connectors and position main engine wiring harness out of the way.

graphic

• Disconnect crankcase ventilation tube from upper intake manifold and positive crankcase ventilation valve (PCV valve).
  • If required, remove throttle body retaining nuts and remove throttle body.
  • If required, remove the idle air control valve (IAC valve) from the upper intake manifold.
  • graphic

1. Remove intake manifold retaining bolts and upper intake manifold.
    2. Inspect integral intake manifold upper gasket on the upper intake manifold.

INSTALLATION

graphic

1. Install bolts in original locations. Tighten in numerical sequence shown in the illustration, to 8-12 Nm (71-106 inch lbs.). NOTE: Prior to re-installation of the upper intake manifold, check the upper intake gasket to make sure that:
      1. seals are completely installed in manifold groove.
      2. seals show no cuts or tears.
    1. If removed, install idle air control valve on upper intake manifold.
    2. If removed, install throttle body.
    3. Connect rear crankcase ventilation tubes at positive crankcase ventilation valve and upper intake manifold.
    4. Position engine control sensor wiring and connect necessary electrical connectors.
    5. Connect vacuum lines to upper intake manifold.
    6. Position accelerator cable bracket. Install and tighten retaining bolts to 8-12 Nm (71-106 inch lbs.).
    7. Connect speed control actuator cable to throttle body, if equipped.
    8. Connect accelerator cable to throttle body.
    9. Install engine air cleaner (ACL) and air cleaner outlet tube.