SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

2000 ford explorer: it wont start..ran fine..tps..relays

Customer Question

The theft light is blinking on my 2000 ford explorer when i turn the key on and it wont start. it cranked up and ran fine before i tried to straight wire the tps. i checked all the fuses and relays unless theres more and also checked wires for power and ground. what could have happened?
Category: Ford
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean straightwire the tps( Throttle posistion sensor ?)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. i ran a hot wire from one of the wires from the fuse block, which i think was the a/c clutch fuse to the throttle position sensor and then i heard a click. then i went and tried to crank the car up and it wouldnt because of the theft light flashing and also the a/c clutch kicks out whenever i turn the key on. so i checked all fuses, and i think all relays and all were good. could i have fried the pcm or the passive anti theft module?
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
Ok Can we start at the begining why did you do that ? What were you trying to fix? And what engine do you have ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
4.0. there wasnt any power going to the tps so i figured i might be able to put atleast 1 volt to it. i know it only requires .4 while its closed and a little over 1.2 when its half way, but i wanted to make sure the tps worked at all. originally it was pulling a 1121 code or something like that, which was "the throttle position sensor is consistent with the mass air flow. i replace the tps twice with two different types of parts. and also replace the mass air flow sensor but the MIL light came back on for the same code. so then i started to chase wires. and then ran into the theft light problem. ive done spent two days on this car. im in a nightmare.
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
Ok Give me a few minutes let me see what i can come up with. Have you been able to pull codes since this happened?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. since the theft light started blinking, the genisis scanner wont let me in. it just keeps saying check ground and fuses, etc. the cars computer wont let me read anything.
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
Ok thats what i am looking for give me a few minutes. Which 4.0 is it the sohc or the ohv if you dont know lwt me have the vin# XXXXX i can figure it out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. take your time.
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
Ok first double check fuse 10 (30 amp ) in the under hood fuse panel. This is the pcm relay power fuse and also goes to a/c relay.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
checked it and it is good.
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
ok than i need you to remove the pcm relay its located in the engine fuse box I will need you to check the power to the relay. Do you know where the pcm power relay is ? If you have a owners manual it would be easiest for you to look in there to see which relay we need to test.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
got power to all relays and fuses in the fuse box under the hood and in the fuse panel in the dash on the driver side.
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
ok heres the deal i can help you work through this if you want my help. But you are going to have to be willing to check what i ask you to check.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok deal. anything will help. you have way more experience on fords than i do so....
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
Ok do you know exactly where the pcm power relay is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. in the distribution block under the hood. ive tried replacing a few of them also.
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
The relay for the pcm is in relay posistion 4 its square not rectangular i need you to remove it, do you have a owners manual?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no but i have mitchell on demand and all data scamatics with all the component locations and diagrams. ive been looking at both all day and didnt get too far. so i had someone tell me about this website.
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
Ok i just need you to pull the pcm relay out its number 4 in the box under the hood. Then i need you to turn on the ignition and test pin 30 and 86 to ground tell me what you have with a voltmeter. If you look on the bottom of the relay you will see the pin numbers and can correlate them with the fuse panel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if i have the dial set right is reading 6.15
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
Ok i need the readings from both pins first from pin 30 to ground then test pin 86 to ground i need to seperate readings.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
6.15 and 8.20
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
can you check voltage across battery terminals, I think maybe you batery may be getting low with all this messing with it. Check and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the battery is reading 13.07
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
ok please check your voltage at fuse 6 with your test light
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
red light and red light on both sides of the fuse
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
use your voltmeter please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>10.</p>
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
i am sorry this concern is too complexed to diag this way i would advise taking it to a qualified repair facility. There is also a pcm diode right next to the relay that you should check please remove it use the diode function on your tester and see if it passes note it will only have continuity in one direction. you could also jumper form pin 30 to pin 87 and see if you get your comunication restored with your tester. Thats about all i can do from my end. Goodluck to ya.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>i appreciate all your help though.</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>the connector wasnt connected when i did this. and i believe it was #1. all i know is i have power to the tps now. but the theft light is still blinking. should i send the car to the dealer or take the pcm out and have it reprogrammed. </p>
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
If you sent full battery voltage 12 volts to pin one and a ground wire to either one of the the other pins you may have fried the tps, if you hooked your jumper wire to pin 1 on the connector side you may have fried your pcm. I thing taking it to the dealer at this point would be the best advise I could give you in this situation not only for the original symptom but the pcm cannot be programmed without the vehicle attached to it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks. its on the way to the dealer now.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
Let us know what is found, thank you for trying here first