Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers

1998 ford f150: 4.6 litre pickup It has two coil packs..replaced one

Customer Question

Hi I am working on an august of 1998 ford f150 4.6 litre pickup    It has two coil packs, one on each side of the engine , on each of the coil-packs the same tower has no spark . I used my timing light to check for this I replaced one of the packs and it is still the same problem it runs terrible idle or driving and the cat. is rattling like crazy now (obviously melted) can you help? Marc
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Is your check engine light on?
-How many miles are on your truck?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no check engine or service engine light on at anytime including when I first turn the key on so its burnt or disconnected and it has 244000 miles (not kms) Marc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no check engine or service engine light on at anytime including when I first turn the key on so its burnt or disconnected and it has 244000 miles (not kms) Marc P.s   Scottdagoalie? I thought this was ask a mechanic not ask a hockey player! Just kidding. Marc
I suggest having the PCM tested for fault codes.The check engine light should come on when the key is first turned on,if it isn't coming on,there is either a problem with the PCM or the bulb is out.If the PCM is trashed,the truck wont run well and there is no reason to chase a spark issue if the PCM is the cause.Lets make sure it is ok before we go further.
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience: 30 years with Ford dealers
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I scanned the PCM and it has five codes with 5 others pending. The codes are as follows PO141 oxygen sensor heaater circuit malfunction Bank 1 sensor 2, PO174 pd generic system too lean (bank2) . PO307 pd generic cylinder 7 misfire detected, PO306 generic cylinder 6 misfire detected , PO153 pd generic oxygen sensor ckt slow response(bank2 sensor1)   I am going to take the cluster out to see whats up with the mil while I await your response.   thanks marc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I scanned the PCM and it has five codes with 5 others pending. The codes are as follows PO141 oxygen sensor heaater circuit malfunction Bank 1 sensor 2, PO174 pd generic system too lean (bank2) . PO307 pd generic cylinder 7 misfire detected, PO306 generic cylinder 6 misfire detected , PO153 pd generic oxygen sensor ckt slow response(bank2 sensor1)   I am going to take the cluster out to see whats up with the mil while I await your response.   thanks marc                               &nbs p;                                             Okay I just pulled the cluster and the bulb was burnt and the light stays on while the enging is running.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI Scott when might you know more about my problem the owner is very anxious to get his truck back thank-you Marc
I suggest addressing the misfire concern first .Replacing of the plugs and wires should be the first step.If you have an open circuit in a wire or plug,spark will not appear with a timing light for that cylinder or the return cylinder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when this problem first started the owner replaced both the plugs and the wires with no benefit. is there a common link to the same tower on each coil pack do they fire at the same time so that the exhaust stroke is firing while the compression stroke is firing at the same time on the opposite side of the engine?
I would inspect the spark plugs for possible damage during installation.This is too common to overlook and there may be a closed electrode.So you may have a shorted plug on the return path rather the suspect cylinder.Your opposing coil also may be open as well.

On Board Diagnostics II A PCED
Coil Pack

A coil in a coil pack is turned on (for example is coil charging) by the PCM, and is turned off when firing two spark plugs at once. The spark plugs are paired so that as one spark plug fires on the compression stroke, the other spark plug fires on the exhaust stroke. The next time the coil is fired the order is reversed. The next pair of spark plugs fire according to the engine firing order.