powerstroker24
powerstroker24, Master Diesel Technician
Experience:  11+ yrs diesel exp. Ford Master Diesel certified. ASE L2 Advanced Diesel Diagnosis cert., ASE T2,T6

7.3 powerstroke..white smoke comes out of the tailpipe..RPM

Customer Question

I have a 2000 7.3 powerstroke. It starts up fine idles ok but white smoke comes out of the tailpipe. When i give it fuel, I get a lot of white smoke and cant get the RPM much over 1500. I can let of the fuel and it will idle but its rough. I had a lot of oil in the valley below the Fuel bowl and the turbo. the sleeve and nut on the IPR was missing. I replaced the IPR valve but no change. I checked the oil level in the HPOP reservoir and it is fine. If anyone has any ideas please let me know
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

When it warms up does the smoke go away?

Is it alot of smoke when pressing the gas?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. I let it idle for about 10 min and it is the same. When I give it fuel it really smokes. the smoke is white. this is the first time it hasn't cleared up. about a week ago it started fine. I left the house made it about a mile and it started loading up. I drained the fuel out of the filter cranked on it for about 20 seconds and it started ran and rough at first then cleared up. Yesterday it didn't die but it wouldn't run much more the an idle. I can give it fuel the rpms come up a little but it wont clear up. it acts like it is sucking air but I have no idea where to start. the turbo turns easy and doesn't make any noise. It doesn't have a knock and it really doesn't sound like it has a miss. It acts like its dumping raw fuel.
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.

Ok you are right it is dumping raw fuel.You have a injector or injectors going bad.When

the spool sticks open it will allow raw fuel to be dumped in the cylinder.The only way to

find the bad injector is to scan the truck and do a compression test on it.Or if the truck

has alot of miles you might consider to replace all 8

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had the injectors replaced less than a year ago. I noticed that one of the HPOP supply hoses are loose. there is no fuel coming from the hose so I didnt know if this is normal. It is loose at the pump. I can move it side to side but no fuel comes out.
Expert:  powerstroker24 replied 5 years ago.
Okay well I think I will take a crack at this. Let me ask you if you have checked the oil level yet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i service my truck every 5000 miles. I am the parts manager for a peterbilt and med duty GM dealership and have worked in the parts dept. for 19 years since I got out of high school (KW and Pete) I know the ford and cat HUEI fuel systems are similar so I know how important changing the oil is to the fuel system. I know a lot of good mechanic but none of them are familiar enough or have the software to work on my 7.3. What is the deal with the valve cover gaskets. I had someone say something about that but it doesn't make since to me. I know i don't have injector problems. there are no active codes. during the injector cut out test 6 injectors failed at different times and then they were fine. Its almost like a ground problem or a connection problem but the harness is in real good shape and tight seals look good. Like i said I am wanting info on where to look.
The valve cover gasket issues reside at the connection under the valve cover between the injector harness and the valve cover gasket. If found to be seperating you can install revised retainer clips from Ford part #2c3z-14a163-ab. This is usually accompanied by a check engine light and P1316 code in the PCM. Does it pass the Injector Electrical self-test? Reading back we probably have a fuel pressure concern and should do a pressure test at the supply side of the pump with the truck running and moreso when it is acting up. We dont want to see pressure drop below 45psi. Let me know what we find, thanks.