EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified

What could cause a engine noise (knock/rattle) only @ idle

What could cause a engine noise (knock/rattle) only @ idle and deceleration in a 4.0 V6 1996 Explorer? Off idle eliminates it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Does it sound like an "overhead" noise? Clattering that changes with engine speed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It sounds lower in the engine. I cannot distinquish between the L/H or R/H side. Where I really hear it the loudest is at idle while stopped. It can be very loud and almost sounds like something coming loose. It doesn't really change with engine speed; ie increase or decrease. It just flat-out stops with the slightest increase in engine speed. I don't have to put a load on it by power-braking, just bring it slightly off idle at stop.
I've felt every engine accessory I can touch while it's happening at idle and cannot locate anything loose.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Check the catalytic converts, just a little exhast pressure will quiet them at times.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the effort, but I've found the problem. It was the power steering pump. I discovered the the noise at idle increased when the steering wheel was turned either left or right.
Thanks anyhow. Keep the $15 for your effort.
Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
OK thanks then, you need to click on "accept".