breakaway500
breakaway500, 35 years as an auto mechanic
Experience:  Own my own auto repair shop for over 16 years,same location
13737811

Engage..any gears whats up the nuetral safety switch is fine

Customer Question

my C6 transmission will not engage any gears whats up the nuetral safety switch is fine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  breakaway500 replied 5 years ago.
Does the vehicle hold in park?Have you checked the fluid level?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the fluid level is normal and it holds in park it starts in nuetral and park i recently put the engine back in the truck due to a blown head gasket. i have a ford f-250 1982

351w/400m. i checked the nuetral switch its lined up. i am thinking its ither the torque convertor or the tranny pump. who knows i could be wrong.

Very possibly the transmission pump. Torque converters rarely just drop dead,but pumps do.The pump gears or housing can crack,especially during a motor swap.
Experience: Own my own auto repair shop for over 16 years,same location
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how would i go about replacing the pump would the tranny need to be rebuilt or can i replace the transmision pump.
To access the pump would require removal of the transmission.The pump is directly behind the torque converter.You would remove the retaining bolts on the inside of the bellhousing and pull the pump out.It usually requires a puller to do as it is a tight fit in the case.There are sealing rings on the tail and they must fit properly during reinstallation or they will be damaged.The easieast way to do this is with the transmission held vertically,and the pump dropped in. If you are not sure about doing it,most tranny shops will do it for a very minimal charge.