CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

2001 Ford F150: I need to replace rear axle seal..leak

Customer Question

I need to replace rear axle seal on 2001 Ford F150. Won't pass inspection because E Brake won't hold because of the leak. Is this repair complicated? Costly? Any information on how to do this job would be appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 7 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The seal onyl costs about $30 and depending on how bad your ebrake shoes are, You may need to replace those also. On a difficulty scale from 1-10, I would give this a 5.

Below I have the procedure to replace the axle seal.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Note: You will need two special tools a seal remover and istaller. Both of the tools you should be able to rent from a local parts store.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I the axle housing vent is plugged with foreign material and causing the oil seal to leak, will clearing the vent solve the problem or will the seal still have to be replaced?

You can try just cleaning the vent but more than likely the excess pressure blew put the seal.