AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2002 ford focus a/c compressor not getting power to clutch

2002 ford focus a/c compressor not getting power to clutch all fuses and relays check good
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Greetings! If your air conditioning in not working, or working but not up to par, there can be a few different things that can cause this. There can be anything from restrictions in the system to your blend air door vents not working properly. If all of your freon has leaked out or even if the freon level is a bit low, the computer will not even turn on the compressor. This is to prevent damage to the compressor and the components. This is very common! If the compressor is cycling on and off, than the system is just slightly low on freon. This will cause the AC to work, but poorly. Look for moisture around the outside of the AC fittings. This will indicate a leak. If no moisture is detected, you might just be able to get away with recharge.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried to add freon but compressor would not engage so I bypassed the low pressure switch but still the clutch did not engage on the compressor I checked the plug and I did not have any power

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Well you could have a blown fuse.

Have we checked the fuse for the compressor?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Ok... so if the fuse is good to the compressor and the compressor does not have power, it looks like we have an electrical issue going on with your vehicle.

WHat type of focus is it? Is it s Zx3, zx5? Single or dual overhead cam?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
4dr sedan single overhead cam this car also has both a low and high pressure switch when I bypass the low pressure switch that should engage the clutch right or is that not work on this car the low switch plug just has 2 wires and the high pressure has 4wires I don't know if that makes a difference
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

NO, the compressor should engage.

Let me pull a wiring diagram...just a minute.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok thanks

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Ok... the computer grounds the relay so that it will power up the AC compressor.

If you do not have power at the compressor, chances are that the computer is not grounding the AC relay.

I would be willing to bet its because the freon amount in the system is not correct. How much freon did you put it? Did you evacuate the system first?

Here is your wiring diagram.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didnt get to add any because the compressor didnt kick in and no I did not evacuate the system I was told by the previous owner that it worked before and must just be low on freon so all i tried was to add some first to see if the compressor would engage one stupid question the compressor has a 2 wire plug is one wire a hot and the other a ground or is that wrong
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

You got it!

WOW! THats impressive! I am serious!

Most people do not know that much!

YES! One is a power and one is a ground. SO in theory if you have no power, all you have to do is add power to the compressor (and it should have ground all the time) the compressor should kick in.

AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

THanks for the accept!

Get your AC system evacuated and recharged and I think you will be good to go!

AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN