JD, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  10+ years working on Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and many others
16040521

I have a 2005 ford f-150, overdrive doesnt work, O/D light

Customer Question

I have a 2005 ford f-150, overdrive doesn't work, O/D light is flashing, trans fault indicated on display. This happened while just driving down the street, fluid level is fine, shifts fine, just won't go into overdrive.. any idea of what is going on? Thanks much, Chad Lemay
Category: Ford
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com!

The issue you are experiencing is a safe mode for the transmission. When the computer notices an issue with the transmission it will convert to safe mode (no O/D). Normally this is caused by a faulty sensor or solenoid. The only way to pinpoint the culprit in this situation is to run a diagnostic scan on it using proper transmission diagnostic equipment. The trouble code will then point out the culprit which like I said is most likely just a faulty sensor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
JD, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. So you are saying that its most likely a bad sensor or solenoid as opposed to some type of clutch or major component failure? I am a mechanic myself, mostly generator sets and support equipment... and this fault seemed to be something like you described but I was kinda panicy and wanted a second opinion. Do you suppose that one of the auto parts chain stores will be able to pinpoint the faulty item for me, or is this something only the dealer can hash out?
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.
Yes, if it were internal issues then you would not only be experiencing the no O/D but you would also have shifting problems such as slipping, harsh engagement, slow engagement etc.. I don't think part stores have the proper equipment for running diagnostic scans on a transmission, however local transmission shops should be able to run a diagnostic scan for you at a much lower rate than the dealer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Very good...mostly I wanted to have an idea of the "scope" of the problems so if someone said the tranny was shot, at least I might know it wasn't quite that bad. Lastly, do you have any idea how much replacing either a control solenoid or sensor would run, including the diagnostics?
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

Sure no problem. I have created an estimate for you to look over below. It is for running a diagnostic test on the transmission & replacing the shift control solenoid (labor + parts). This is an estimate for the dealer so you may find it a bit cheaper at local tranny shops. Of course I am not saying the shift control solenoid is the component at fault here, this is simply for reference as other solenoids and sensors should be similar.

graphic

JD, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 10+ years working on Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and many others
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Very good, thanks much JD... Have accepted and hope that the fee paid is to your liking.