breakaway500
breakaway500, 35 years as an auto mechanic
Experience:  Own my own auto repair shop for over 16 years,same location
13737811

1992 f150 will not start when engine is hot engine cranks but

1992 f150 will not start when engine is hot engine cranks but will notstart until it cools off
Category: Ford
Expert:  breakaway500 replied 5 years ago.
Have you checked for spark when it will not start?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it does have spark
When it won't start,can you still hear the fuel pump whine for a split second,when you turn the key to the run position?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dont know about the whine but i have checked both tanks by switching front and rear switch. my son said he does hear the pump clink when the key is turned on
You should hear the pump in the tank whine,not just hear the relay click.See if the pump is whining,or running.You should also check for fuel pressure on the fuel line feed at the schrader valve.let me know what that pressure is.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have no way of checking the fuel pressure, my son said both pumps do whine when the key is turned on i have tried swiching from one tank to the other don't help when the engine cools down it will start

Are you driving the car or just idling it and the engine stalls?How long does it take?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
understand this is my son's truck, he drives it to work he drives it to differant locations for his work, i would say he drives it about 25mi and he turns the engine off after it is turned off it willnot start until the engine cools down
So,he is driving it about 25 miles,and the engine shuts off.He has to wait how long before it will start again?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the engine dosn't shut off he turns the engine off and it willnot start until it cools down about 1hr
I would need to know if there is injector pulse when the engine will not start.It would also be helpfull to see what the fuel pressure is when the truck won't start. Without more diagnostics,I would only be guessing a possible solution.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Breakaway 500 Thank you for all you have done, if you would give me a guess on a possible solution that would be ok with me i will pay you the deposit
If you have spark during the no start situation,that rules out the ignition system.We now have to guess if you have sufficient fuel pressure.When starting the vehicle,it is possible that the fuel pump is not making enough pressure at cranking voltage (which is much lower than running voltage) to start the vehicle.However,because the vehicle never stops running on its own,I would have to go with my best guess,which is no injector pulse. This can be caused from a lack of distributor reference,or a bad ecm relay or even a faulty ecm.(engine control module,or computer) My best guess at this point,without further testing, would be a faulty ecm. I hope this helps. Mark
Experience: Own my own auto repair shop for over 16 years,same location