CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified

I have a code P0705 (Trans Range Sensor Malfunctionin (PRNDL

I have a code P0705 (Trans Range Sensor Malfunctionin (PRNDL Input) on my E350 Ford Van. How can I fix this without having to take it to the dealer?
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 7 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Before I can assist you, I will need to know a little more information:

• What year is your E350?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
year is a 2001 super duty

Thank you.

More than likely the sensor on the side of the transmission is bad. But first I would take a quick look at the connector and the wires as sometimes they can melt due to the heat underneath the vehicle.

This is the sensor you are looking for:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if the wires are ok, is the sensor easy to replace? And do you know what the part number for the sensor is and estimated cost?
Unfortunally I do not have a part number as I am only allowed to look up service procedures. It is fairly simple to replace. All you will need to do is pop off the shifter cable with a pry bar and then inbolt the sensor. Make sure you have the vehicle in nuetraland to pull the sensor straight out. Then the new sensor should be set with the line and index XXXXX XXXXXned up, and then slide on the new sensor. The seonsor should be around $80 I believe.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

one last question, I went to look under the transmission and could not find the sensor box that the arrow points to. Do I need to view the diagram as if I was laying under the van?

The sensor is on the drivers side of the vehicle in the side of the trasnmission. Maybe this picture will better help you out: