davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

My 2003 Ford Expedition make a noise when making a turn and

Customer Question

My 2003 Ford Expedition make a noise when making a turn and accelerating. What is causing this noise?
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA, is your expedition 4x4?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not a 4x4. Eddie Bauer Edition with power folding third seat.
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.
could you send me the vin so I can run an oasis.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
VIN 1FMFU17L83L C62013
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.

the vin must be 17 characters long, I think you missed one.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1FMFU17L83LC62013
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a clunk noise, or a squeak, or a rattle, without hearing it I need a little more info to help diag it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it is roaring sound like limited clutches slipping. I have been informed by other owners of expeditions they had axle bearing prombles. There is no noise when your are going straight.

Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.
Is the noise coming from the front or rear? While driving turn the wheel slightly left and then slightly right and see if the noise gets louder or lower, and then let me know which way you turned to make it lower.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The noise is coming from the rear. I drove the suv and turned the wheel in both directions and there was no roaring sound. The sound is only present when you make a 90 degree turn to the right from a dead stop and you take off fairly hard.

Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.
does it feel as if you are driving over a washboard? like maybe ripples in the road, or the rumble strips on the side of the highway?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.

ok, the clutches in the rear axle need to be replaced. here is the tsb and parts list.

FORD:2002-2004 Mustang, Explorer
2003-2004 Expedition
2004 F-150
LINCOLN:2003 Navigator
MERCURY:2002-2004 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 06-02-16 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2003-2004 Expedition, 2003 Navigator, 2004 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 9.75" or 8.8" limited slip rear axle, and 2002-2004 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, and Mustang vehicles equipped with 8.8" limited slip rear axle, may exhibit a chatter, shudder, a binding sensation, or a vibration during low speed turns. On 4X4 vehicles, the sensation may appear to be originating from the front axle or the steering gear.

ACTION:

First verify the condition. On 4X4 trucks ensure that the vehicle is in 2WD, to isolate the rear axle. On all vehicles, turn the wheel fully right (or fully left) and then accelerate the vehicle. If the condition is verified to be in the rear axle, replace the limited slip clutch pack.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

CAUTION:INSTRUCT THE CUSTOMER NOT TO TOW WITH THE VEHICLE FOR 500 MILES (805 KM) AFTER THIS REPAIR, TO ALLOW THE AXLE TO BREAK-IN PROPERLY.

Order and install the appropriate clutch pack, follow the instructions detailed in the Workshop Manual.

• 6L1Z-4947-A (9.75" limited slip)
  • F5AZ-4947-BA (8.8" limited slip)

NOTE:INSTALLING A CLUTCH PACK INTO AN INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION (IRS) AXLE IS DIFFERENT FROM INSTALLING A CLUTCH PACK INTO A SOLID-BEAM AXLE. BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE APPROPRIATE WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURE.

INSTALLATION TIPS

• Be sure to install NEW circlips and halfshaft/wheel end nuts on IRS rear axle (not included in the service kit)
  • Soak the new clutch packs in Additive Friction Modifier (XL-3) for fifteen (15) minutes prior to installation
  • For IRS axles, the half shaft seals need to be replaced. Expedition and Explorer/Mountaineer applications should use seal kit part number 5L1Z-4A109-A. Removal of the half shaft excluder seal 1L2Z-1N013 may be required, if equipped, to facilitate re-assembly
  • Refill axles with 4 oz. Additive Friction Modifier (XL-3) and the necessary amount of Rear Axle Lubricant (XY-75W140-QL), regardless of the axle lubricant system originally used in the axle. Fill to capacity recommended in the Workshop Manual

NOTE:AXLE FLUID REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN CHANGED. ALL VEHICLES BEING REPAIRED BY THIS TSB MUST HAVE REAR AXLE LUBE XY-75W140-QL INSTALLED, IN PLACE OF XY- 75W90-QFEHP. AS PART OF THIS REPAIR, CHECK AND REPLACE IF NECESSARY THE CURRENT XY-75W90-Q"FEHP" METAL TAG, WITH A NEW 75W140 TAG (F3TZ-4121-AA). ADDITIONALLY, REMOVE THE MULTI-COLORED LABEL WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE AXLE TUBE, OR BLOCK OUT ANY/ALL "FEHP" OR "75W90" REFERENCES ON THE LABEL.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
6L1Z-4947-A9.75" Axle Clutch Kit
F5AZ-4947-BA8.8" Axle Clutch Kit
5L1Z-4A109-AAxle Seal
XY-75W140-QLRear Axle Lubricant
XL-3Additive Friction Modifier
W710084-S439Nut (Wheel End)
2L1Z-4B422-CACirclips (for 9.75")
1L2Z-4B422-BACirclips (for 8.8")
F3TZ-4121-AAMetal Tag - 75W140

davehop, Ford Technician
Experience: Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Why cannot we print the answer to our question? We understand money has been put on our charge card.
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.
you mean you want to print out the info I gave you? Also you need to hit the accept button so that I may get paid, I don't receive credit for my help until you accept. Try to copy and paste, if that does not work, try to hit control and print screen, which is above the number keypad on the right side of your keyboard.