ok, the clutches in the rear axle need to be replaced. here is the tsb and parts list.
|FORD:||2002-2004 Mustang, Explorer|
This article supersedes TSB 06-02-16 to update the Service Procedure.
Some 2003-2004 Expedition, 2003 Navigator, 2004 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 9.75" or 8.8" limited slip rear axle, and 2002-2004 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, and Mustang vehicles equipped with 8.8" limited slip rear axle, may exhibit a chatter, shudder, a binding sensation, or a vibration during low speed turns. On 4X4 vehicles, the sensation may appear to be originating from the front axle or the steering gear.
First verify the condition. On 4X4 trucks ensure that the vehicle is in 2WD, to isolate the rear axle. On all vehicles, turn the wheel fully right (or fully left) and then accelerate the vehicle. If the condition is verified to be in the rear axle, replace the limited slip clutch pack.
|CAUTION:||INSTRUCT THE CUSTOMER NOT TO TOW WITH THE VEHICLE FOR 500 MILES (805 KM) AFTER THIS REPAIR, TO ALLOW THE AXLE TO BREAK-IN PROPERLY.|
Order and install the appropriate clutch pack, follow the instructions detailed in the Workshop Manual.
- 6L1Z-4947-A (9.75" limited slip)
- F5AZ-4947-BA (8.8" limited slip)
|NOTE:||INSTALLING A CLUTCH PACK INTO AN INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION (IRS) AXLE IS DIFFERENT FROM INSTALLING A CLUTCH PACK INTO A SOLID-BEAM AXLE. BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE APPROPRIATE WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURE. |
- Be sure to install NEW circlips and halfshaft/wheel end nuts on IRS rear axle (not included in the service kit)
- Soak the new clutch packs in Additive Friction Modifier (XL-3) for fifteen (15) minutes prior to installation
- For IRS axles, the half shaft seals need to be replaced. Expedition and Explorer/Mountaineer applications should use seal kit part number 5L1Z-4A109-A. Removal of the half shaft excluder seal 1L2Z-1N013 may be required, if equipped, to facilitate re-assembly
- Refill axles with 4 oz. Additive Friction Modifier (XL-3) and the necessary amount of Rear Axle Lubricant (XY-75W140-QL), regardless of the axle lubricant system originally used in the axle. Fill to capacity recommended in the Workshop Manual
|NOTE:||AXLE FLUID REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN CHANGED. ALL VEHICLES BEING REPAIRED BY THIS TSB MUST HAVE REAR AXLE LUBE XY-75W140-QL INSTALLED, IN PLACE OF XY- 75W90-QFEHP. AS PART OF THIS REPAIR, CHECK AND REPLACE IF NECESSARY THE CURRENT XY-75W90-Q"FEHP" METAL TAG, WITH A NEW 75W140 TAG (F3TZ-4121-AA). ADDITIONALLY, REMOVE THE MULTI-COLORED LABEL WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE AXLE TUBE, OR BLOCK OUT ANY/ALL "FEHP" OR "75W90" REFERENCES ON THE LABEL.|
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|6L1Z-4947-A||9.75" Axle Clutch Kit|
|F5AZ-4947-BA||8.8" Axle Clutch Kit|
|XY-75W140-QL||Rear Axle Lubricant|
|XL-3||Additive Friction Modifier|
|W710084-S439||Nut (Wheel End)|
|2L1Z-4B422-CA||Circlips (for 9.75")|
|1L2Z-4B422-BA||Circlips (for 8.8")|
|F3TZ-4121-AA||Metal Tag - 75W140|