Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

my 1998 ford expedition steering column is very loose. The

Customer Question

my 1998 ford expedition steering column is very loose. The steering wheel is moving all over the place. The letters for the gears do not match what you are actually doing. For example when I am in reverse its reflects drive on the gear shift on the dash. Can I fix this problem myself or do I need to take it into a dealer that will charge me an arm and a leg, please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

KC
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Is the column itself integrity OK ? Is is it just the shifter indicator?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

tHE COLUMN ITSELF IS INTACH THERE IS NO DAMAGE. HOWEVER, THE STEERING WHEEL IS VERY LOOSE AND WILL NOT REMAIN IN ITS APPROPRIATE POSITION. THE SHIFTER INDICATOR ARE WAY OFF. THEY ARE NOT ALIGNED AT ALL?

KC

Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
The position...are we talking about the tilt selection?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

YES, I GUESS. I DONT UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION. THE TILT POSITION STILL WORKS FINE, HOWEVR THE STEERING WHEEL HAS NO BASE. I CAN MOVE THE WHEEL UP, DOWN, LEFT, OR RIGHT TO A CERTAIN POINT. WHEN I AM IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING A TURN IF PUSH LIGHTLY ON EITHER SIDE OF THE WHEEL DURING THE TURN THE WHEEL WILL MOVE IN EITHER DIRECTION, HOWEVER, THE TURN IS STILL MADE BUT THE WHEEL IS OUT OF POSITION IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. I HOPE SO.

THANKS

KC

Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.

OK, so the steering wheel is basically wobbling in place right?