Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac: turn signals..brake lights..fuses

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac my rear turn signals and brake lights will not work. Both sides the top red taillights do work. All of the fuses in the box are good and working. Is there a separate fuse somewhere for the blinkers
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Does the hazards work?

Repair history?

How many miles on the truck?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hazards do not work in the back
Do not know the repair history
120K is the mileage

Thanks

Try pushing up and down several times on the hazard button, and then see if the brakes and turn signals start working in the rear. Also wiggle the hazard button around. If things start working then the multifunction switch (turn signal) switch needs to be replaced.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could not get it to come on at all.

Thanks

Do you have access to a 12v test light?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If thats a fuse tester yup. If not idk...

Thanks

yes, it is just a test light that lights when you touch one side of it to positive and a clamp is on a ground.

Try this before we go checking for power on wires. Tilt the steering all the way up and try the brakes again and the turn signals. You might have a loose wire going to the turn switch.

Thanks

Experience: Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright I tried the brakes and turn signals. That didn't do it yet.

Thanks

Do the turn signals work in the front?

Do the hazards work in the front?

What fuses did you check? Did you check under the hood as well as the interior?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not know of any fuses under the hood, heh
The interior I checked all of them. My dad mentioned there may be another 3 prong fuse for the brake lights but I have no clue where and it wasn't in the manual. Yes everything upfront seems to be working well all functionaing.

Thanks

Check the fuses under the hood and let me know if you had to replace any.

So if hazards and turn signals work up front, there is something only in the rear that we need to look at.

Do you pull a trailer with this truck that uses brake lights on the trailer?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has in the past because it has a scratched chrome hitch but not since I've had it and the lights were working fine then.

I'll check the fuses under the hood may need help locating them but I'll look now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not know how to find the testing points for the bigger black fuses but all of the smaller fuses are testing ok.

Thanks

Remove one of the rear tail light assembly to get to the brake bulb so we can check for voltage. Let me know which side drivers or passengers side you pull off.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a way I could go directly to you again later(and pay again) if I paid now?

Thanks

You can pay now if you want and I will leave this post open so you can come back.

Just come back to this post, don't start a new question or post.

Thanks