Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers
13762030

99 ford ranger: with a 3.0 engine

Customer Question

i have a 99 ford ranger with a 3.0 engine and a code p1309 can a ford guy help a nissan guy out?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The code P1309 refers to the misfire monitor disabled due to the cam sensor being out of adjustment.

P1309 - Misfire Monitor Disabled When the misfire monitor is disabled, usually due to the input signal generated by the camshaft position (CMP) sensor, by sensing the passage of teeth from the CMP wheel.
  • Camshaft position sensor
  • Powertrain control module
  • ECT, MAF, and CKP sensors
Verify the CMP is installed correctly and not out of synchronization

I suggest checking the cam sensor synchronizer for proper alignment.This requires a special tool to set up.

Special Tool(s)
graphic Synchronizer Alignment Gauge
303-589

1999 Ranger Workshop Manual

Installation

1. CAUTION: After installation, do not loosen the synchronizer bolt and rotate the synchronizer assembly. The synchronizer assembly is not adjustable. Do not loosen the synchronizer bolt after the alignment tool has been removed in order to align the CMP electrical connector for any reason. If the electrical connector is not in the correct position, the synchronizer assembly must be removed, the alignment tool and the assembly reinstalled if the engine has not been rotated from top dead center (TDC) of the compression stroke on the No. 1 cylinder.

CAUTION: Do not turn the crankshaft or camshaft during the removal and installation procedure or the fuel system timing will be out of time with the engine and possibly causing engine damage.

CAUTION: A special tool must be used during the installation of the new synchronizer assembly. Failure to follow this procedure will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage.

Install the special tool on the camshaft synchronizer by rotating the tool until it engages the notch in the camshaft synchronizer housing and the armature.
graphic
  1. CAUTION: It is very important to coat the gear on the camshaft synchronizer with engine oil prior to installation. Failure to do so could result in gear failure.

NOTE: During installation, the arrow on the special tool will rotate clockwise until the oil pump intermediate shaft and the camshaft gear engages.

Install the camshaft synchronizer housing assembly so the arrow on the special tool is 38 degrees from the centerline of the engine.
graphic
  1. Install the bolt.
  1. Install the camshaft position (CMP) sensor.
graphic
  1. Connect the CMP sensor electrical connector.

Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience: 30 years with Ford dealers
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanx ill try that
Ok,let me know what you find.Thanks for the ACCEPT!