SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

87 Ford Bronco: out of 4WD at the transfer case..4l..what tool to use

Customer Question

How do you shift an 87 Ford Bronco, out of 4WD at the transfer case? There appears to be a hole with markings 2H, 4H and 4L, but I don't know what tool to use.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't believe that I have a shift motor. I have an Eddie Bouer edition, with manual hubs and shifter on the floor.

It is justa hole.

Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

Look at this illustration and tell me if this looks like your transfer case and the area where you see the markings?

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bob,

As far as I can tell that does look like my transfer case.

Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

Ok, your transfer case is the same one that would be used for one that had electronic shift, the circular area on the rearward facing side has a hole on the back that is not drilled out for a manual shift t-case. If you are havining difficulty shifting out of 4x4 mode, you have one of two problems, your shift linkage between the handle and the tranfer case is bound, or you have a mechanical lock up inside the t-case. Since we cannot take the t-case apart to check for that, we will look to see if the linkage is bound or damaged. Get under the truck (with the park brake firmly set and chocks in front and bechind the tires so it cannot move if you accidendally shift the t-case into nuetral) locate where the metal linkage attaches to the forward facing side of the t-case, we will need to disconnect this linkage and take a large screwdriver or prybar and attempt to move the tab at the tranfer case.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The linkage is not bound. It moves with the shifter. The problem appears to be internal. Am I understanding that hole serves no purpose on my vehicle? How do I get the vehicle out of 4WD?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
If you have disconnected the shift linkage and cannot manipulate the shift lever (making sure the drive line's are not wound up - I.E. front drive shaft holding pressure one direction, rear driveshaft holding pressure the other.) you will have to remove and disassemble the transfer case to locate the source of the problem! Try one more thing, jack the front of the vehicle so that both front tires are off the ground and try again to manually shift the t-case, if this does not work then unfortunately you will need to look inside the t-case for the problem.