SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

Ford Ranger: 2WD..manual transmission..the rod that..clutch pedal

I tried to replace the clutch position switch on my Ford Ranger 1998 2.5L 2WD manual transmission truck with the following results:

* I could remove the plastic retainer on the back of the switch.
* I could rotate the switch and see the rod that is attached to the clutch pedal that goes thru the switch. At this point it looked like the switch was designed to just lift off of the rod.
* Couldn't get the switch off the rod due to what seemed like spring tension from the switch on the rod.

My Question is : Do I have to remove the rod or any other parts to get the switch out?
                        : How do I get it out ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
By pull back do you mean pull away from the rod ?
Push the clutch pedal in with your hand and once it is down hold on to the switch, release the pedal while not letting the spring tension inside the switch relax. At this point in time the spring is loaded, pull down (with the open slot of the switch is pointed upward). this should release the switch. Once you have the back side of the switch disengaged, you can relax the spring tension on the way out.