Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0

my 1993 ford taurus overheats. The radiator fan doesnt turn

Customer Question

my 1993 ford taurus overheats. The radiator fan doesn't turn on - and when it gets too hot the radiator intake hose pops off and releases all the coolant - help please!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Do you ever hear the cooling fan come on even when the a/c is turned on?

Repair history for the last year?

What have you checked or done so far?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The radiator fan doesn't turn on - even when the AC is on. I just recently replaced the thermostat (which was broke) thinking that would fix the problem. Unfortunatly the fan still doesn't turn on - and the intake hose still pops off when the car gets hot enough. Is the radiator fan on a fuse that I can replace?

Ok, first try with the key out of the ignition, turn the fan blades to make sure they turn freely. If they don't, look for any obstructions. Or the bearing might be froze up. If that is the case you will need to replace the fan assembly.

Check all your fuses, under the hood and inside the car. Replace any blown fuses.

With the engine running and the a/c on, try smacking the black metal module that is above the radiator under the engine decal bezel. If the fan starts to work, then replace that module.

If that is ok, remove the fan motor connectors and look for any signs of melting of the connector or overheated terminals. If this is found then the fan assembly will need to be replaced along with new wire pigtails. You can get all of this at Ford dealer parts.

Let me know what you found

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok - the fan blade turns freely when I move it - I checked all the fuses both under the hood and in the car - I tried hitting the boxxes under the plastic thing and it didn't work. I've checked the fan motor connectors and its hard for me to tell if there are any signs of melting or overheating of the terminals. The only thing I could foresee being wrong is when the intake hose pops off - it sprays water and coolant everywhere - could this possibly erode wires? and if that is the case what should I look for? I really appreciate all your help so far - but nothing seems to get that fan moving. I've even checked it after I've driven my car and it has got pretty hot - it still doesn't move. any other advice?

With the a/c on and the engine running, can you hear the a/c compressor kick on?

Also, with it still idling with the a/c on, try wiggling slowly the connector at the fan motor. Does it come on or try to come on?

Also, do you have any test equipment like a voltmeter or test light?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The A/C hasn't worked for quite a while in this car - it still blows air but has never been cold - a couple years ago I had attempted to get it fixxed but it leaked freeon so I just decided to go without it. I think the compressor still works but I can't without a doubt tell if its turning on or not.

I tried wiggling the connector and it didn't turn at all or even try to turn at all.

I also don't have a test light - I might go pick one up sometime soon.

Do you think its the fan motor?

Do you have access to a jumper wire or something metal to jump a connector?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if you mean a jumper cable - yes. If not - can you be more specific on what you mean?

Find this switch back against the firewall on the passengers side. This should be located on top of the black a/c accumulator. Remove the 2 wire connector going to this switch shown in the picture below. Now take a jumper wire and put it between the 2 terminals on the connector and turn the a/c on and let the engine idle. Let me know if the a/c compressor comes on and if the fans come on.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Alright - I'll try that next - I'm actually not going to have time to do this right now - but if they do come on - what does that mean and what would the next step be? I really appreciate all your help so I'll hit accept but I'm not sure how this all works - I'm pretty sure that gives you the money but I'd really like to know what the next step would be. so if theres any way you can still tell me that I'd really appreciate it.

Don't hit accept again please.

What that tells me is that all the wiring and the fan motors are good. Now it tells me the sensor that tells the fan to come on at a certain temprature is not working correctly. That would be the cooling system switch.

But if after jumping the switch I mentioned earlier, then yes the fan could be bad and will need to be replaced. However, to verify this, you will need to test for power and ground at the fan motor to verify that you have power and ground there at the fan.