SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

2005 ford taurus: wont start..the key the speedometer..power locks

my 2005 ford taurus won't start it was driving fine all day and now its not working at first I couldn't even turn the key now the key turn but I am getting nothing no noise or anything but when you remove the key the speedometer starts to shutter my battery terminals are clean and the power locks and windows still work any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer The first thing you want to do is a load test on the battery, take it out and bring it to autozone, they usually do this kind of test for free, you can still have enough voltage to operate components, but a battery that has an internal fault will have similar symptoms when a greater load is put on it. If the battery checks out ok, I found a technical service bullitin that might apply, you might need to get the vehicle to a dealership to have the powertrain control module reprogrammed. (see below)

Printable View (6 KB)
Publication Date: December 10, 2004

FORD:2004-2005 Taurus
MERCURY:2004-2005 Sable

Some 2004-2005 Taurus/Sable vehicles built before 8/27/2004 equipped with a 3.0L 4-valve engine may exhibit a no crank, battery discharged condition.

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B34.7 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at If a charging concern is still present after PCM reprogramming, perform normal diagnostics.

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage