Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers

2002 Ford Explorer XLS: I replace the front wheel bearing

How do I replace the front wheel bearing on my 2002 Ford Explorer XLS and what tools will I need?
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-2WD or a 4WD?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My Explorer is 2WD
Here is the directions to replace the front hob assembly that contains the bearings.
I would appreciate a deposit and accept if you are happy with my help.Thank you ! Scott

2002 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual

Wheel Hub

Item Specification
Silicone Gasket and Sealant

Removal and Installation

1. NOTE: The wheel speed sensor connectors are located in the engine compartment and are secured to the fender aprons.

Disconnect the wheel speed sensor connector.
  1. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  1. Detach the harness from the retainers.
  1. Remove the bolts and position the caliper and support bracket aside.
  1. Remove the brake disc.
  1. Remove the bolts (1107), wheel hub and sensor as an assembly (1104).
    • Discard the bolts.
  1. NOTE: Apply a thin coat of silicone sealant to the wheel hub mounting surfaces before installation.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The bolts for removal are tagged with torque measurements. That means I will need to torque the replacement on with those settings, correct?
Yes ,ideally you should torque all bolts to ensure that they are tight.But you can not overtorque these so just make sure they are as tight as they were when you removed them. The bolts will require a 15mm socket and ratchet to remove. After the bolts are removed,you may need a hammer to dislodge the hub from the spindle.