Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

Where is the EGR Valve on a 2002 Taurus.

The Check Engine light came on and my hand held OBD reader gave me a P0401 code.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Hi there tonybee. Just one question do you have the 12 valve or the 24 valve engine? Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have the 24 valve Steve.
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Hi ok the most common culprit of this trouble code is not the EGR valve itself. The EGR valve is located right behind the throttlebody on your engine toward the rear of the engine. If you locate the valve then you will see a EGR tube(metal tube) coming of from the valve and going to the rear exhaust manifold. If you locate the tube foloow it and then you will see 2 small rubber hoses coming off from the metal pipe. These 2 hoses run to a plastic sensor near the rear side of the intake manifold. This sensor will have those 2 rubber hoses and an electrical connector attached to it. Replace this sensor it is called a DPFE sensor and it measures EGR flow in the system. these fail nonstop. Replace this and inspect those 2 hoses for damage. Then the code should be gone after you get it cleared. Thanks Steve