rashawn
rashawn, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master tech 20 years experience
16261198

1996 Ford F250: shifting..PowerStroke..a electronic..neutral..Pulling

I am having intermittent shifting problems with my 1996 Ford F250 PowerStroke diesel with a electronic over drive transmission. Every now and then the OD indicator light on the shift stalk will start flashing the the transmission will start shifting erratically, sometimes even going into a false neutral. Pulling over and shutting off the vehicle for 30 seconds or so and restarting everything seems to be OK. Flashing indicator gone and shifting back to normal. Sometimes this will happen two or three times in a row and other times it will run the 50 mile trip with no problems. I took it to a transmission shop and they got a code that indicated a problem with the speed sensor located on the rear differential and replaced it. They test drove it and the problem or code did not return. I picked the truck up and proceeded to drive the 50 mile trip home. About 5 miles down the road the problem resurfaced. I brought the truck back to the transmission shop and still cannot find the prob
Category: Ford
Expert:  rashawn replied 5 years ago.
its not the speed sensor for the speedometer. it is the speed sensor inside the transmission more so called the turbine speed sensor or inpit shaft speed sensor. they changed the output shaft speed sensor. Big issue with ford. they are one of few who put speed sensor in the transmission. I'm sure of this. common occurance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I gave the info to my trans tech who has 30 years experience. He says the info you gave me does not apply to the E40D trans I have. He says the info you gave applies to the 4R100 trans in the 1998 and later. Please readdress this issue keeping in mind that I have a E04D transmission. Thank you.
Expert:  rashawn replied 5 years ago.
okay
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am still waiting on a answer to my reply to your original answer which I believe is not correct since the answer you gave applies to the later 4R100 trans, not the E4OD. Please let me know if you have a answer. Thank You. Customer
Expert:  rashawn replied 5 years ago.

The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on), electronic pressure control circuit shorted or monitored sensor failure (lamp flashing). this is the bulletin I found. There is a problem in your unit.

LAMP - FLASHING TRANSMISSION CONTROL
INDICATOR LAMP (TCIL) WITH DIAGNOSTIC
TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) 62, 628 AND/OR 1728
STORED IN MEMORY

^TRANSMISSION - E4OD - FLASHING
TRANSMISSION CONTROL INDICATOR LAMP
(TCIL) WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
(DTCS) 62, 628 AND/OR 1728 STORED IN MEMORY

LIGHT TRUCK:
1989-97 F SUPER DUTY, F-250 HD, F-350
1989-98 ECONOLINE, F-150, F-250 LD
1990-96 BRONCO
1997-98 EXPEDITION
1998 NAVIGATOR

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to correct the vehicles listed.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit a flashing Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL) and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) 62, 628, and/or 1728 may be stored in memory. These DTCs can be set by any internal transmission element slippage or potentially by torque converter slippage.

ACTION:
Refer to the following text when servicing these codes.

NOTE : WHEN SERVICING A VEHICLE WITH A FLASHING TCIL WITH DTCS 62, 628 AND/OR 1728, DO NOT REPLACE THE TORQUE CONVERTER UNLESS PROPER DIAGNOSIS HAS PROVEN THE TORQUE CONVERTER TO BE THE CAUSE.

Always verify the customer concern. Proper diagnosis for DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 may require talking to the customer to find out if there were any other symptoms associated with the TCIL flashing, (i.e., shift concerns, erratic/early/late, proper torque converter operation, etc.), prior to noticing the TCIL flashing.

Prior to transmission repairs for DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 or investigating other causes, repair all non-related transmission DTCs first, then repair all other transmission DTCs other than 62, 628 and/or 1728.

Some of the other causes that may result in DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 are as follows:

^Aftermarket modifications (i.e., performance enhancers, electrical modifications, etc.)

^Missing shifts (some/all)

^Transmission fluid leakage (internal and/or external)

^Erratic shift timing

^Valves, springs or retainers in the main control/accumulator body not assembled correctly, binding or sticking

^Check balls missing and/or mislocated. Damaged, unable to seal/seat properly

^Higher or lower than normal line pressure

^Transmission fluid restrictions and/or level

^Erratic/inoperative vehicle speed and/or rpm sensor

^Poor engine performance concerns

Any vehicle system concerns that could cause the strategy to detect a perceived internal slippage or change in the expected rpm of internal transmission rotating components may cause DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 to set.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I still don't believe you gave me a answer. The answer " There is a problem with your unit" I don't understand. Evidently I have a problem somewhere. I need to know what exactly is causing it so I can directly address it. I don't want to "flock shoot" replacing pieces until it is found. The only additional info I can supply to the original question is that a TO500 code was found and the speed sensor on the rear differential housing was replaced. No other codes came up. The same code came back. Please let me know if you can give me more detailed answers. Thank You Customer
Expert:  rashawn replied 5 years ago.
Okay. That gives me more information too go off of. Its kinda hard to diagnose a car sight unseen. I have found to be very good at it. but that truck has a programable speedometer module (psom) the signal comes from the speed sensor is prcessed through the psom them sent to computer to control shifting and reference speed and so forth. thats where the problem should be. located behind the cluster. that is all the information i have for po500. without testing the waveform from the speed sensor I would suggest the psom is not receiving the correct waveform or not sending the correct waveform to the pcm. that is as detailed as it gets. for the code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. I think we might be closer to a answer. So that I understand, exactly what has to be replaced? Is the PSOM a separate piece or is it a part of the speedo cluster that would have to be replace as a complete unit? I don't want to have to replace more than necessary since my funds are limited on social security. Thanks, Customer
Expert:  rashawn replied 5 years ago.

Can be replaced but the part is integral to your cluster. Highly recommended that you hire someone experienced in the replacement of this part I.E. Ford dealer to do this procedure. the milage has to be reprogrammed ect. i hope this answer helps you. I have researched this problem further than I had expected.

rashawn, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: master tech 20 years experience