Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D

2007 Ford Taurus: that has a rough idle..idles rough..nothing wrong

I have a 2007 Ford Taurus that has a rough idle. It accelerates fine and does not seem to be skipping but at stand still it idles rough and the interior light flickers. I have had it looked at several times and been told that there is nothing wrong. I brought it back today and was told that the timing is off and needs to be adjusted. Does this sound right? How did the timing change on a car with 34,000 mi. Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer Could I have the VIN number please? It runs good down the road? Have you had any major repairs done to the car?? Any check engine lights? Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have the vin # XXXXX but can go downstairs and get it. There has been no work done except waht was done to try to fix this problem: replace idle air control, download new codes to computer, check or replace throttle body. All of which did nothing. I should say that although it runs good it is a bit "jerky" when you start off.
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Ok I can tell you one thing, the timing is not off. Of course I cannot actually see it but there is just no way. If the engine has never been taken apart then the timing should be set and it is either on or off. I hoighly doubt this explanation. With the way that the lights dim while this happens I would say that there is a loose connection somewhere, possible in a charging circuit or a connector that engine controls run through. Steve