Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

How to get access to spark plug on 2004 ford econoline e-350

how to get access to spark plug on 2004 ford econoline e-350
Which engine does it have in it? If you're unsure, give me the 8th digit of the VIN #
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the 8th digit is L. seems 5.4L V8 PFI SOHC 16V
2004 12 seating van econoline e-350
Ok. Take the center console off, and take it out of your way. The spark plugs are located under the individual coils. Remove the coil hold-down bolt (7mm) and the 2-prong plug that is connected to the coil. remove the coil. Next, take a spark plug socket with an extension, and stick it in the hole. with a little spin, the socket should seat onto the spark plug nut, and you can remove it. The gap on the new plug should be set at .052 - .056" . insert plug into socket, and gently slide socket on extention into the hole. with just hand power, turn the extention until you feel the plug threading in. Tighten to 10 foot pounds. Replace coil over plug, replace hold-down bolt, and reconnect 2-prong power wire.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Take the center console off from inside? where exactly the individual coils locate?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i changed chevy astro spark plug, but no experience in COP.and i do not know how to take off console?

Yes. from inside. there will be a release latch just above and to the right of the gas pedal, and one on the other side to the left of the passengers feet. they're just lock clips, grab the handle and pull, it'll un-latch. then to the front, bottom of the console (in between driver and passenger) there will be 2 feet-like plates with a bolt in each. remove bolts and with a little rocking and manuvering, the console will slide away.

The "coil-on-plug" coils are located right on top the engine, just under the chrome-colored fuel rail. They look sorta like little hockey pucks with an electrical connector poking out the side. more than likely, they are originals, and will say "Motorcraft" on a white label right on top.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, i took off the console and i think i saw the coils, 4 on each side. there is no Motorcraft on them, but small white tag on each coil wire. where are plug 1 & 5 respectively. (my scanner read P301, P305 misfired). are they the closer ones to reach? or far end all the way to the front, in that case access will be very difficult, but how. i saw small hexagonal bolds holding hockey pucks. do i have to unscrew them to change plugs or i have to replace coils too.
by the way,P0316 (missfire with in first 1000 Rev)means anything?
Yep. 4 on each side. No matter if you see "motorcraft" the semi-circle white tabs means you're in the right place. The cylinders are: 1-2-3-4 on passenger side and 5-6-7-8 on drivers side. if you have a misfire on these 2 cylinders, change plugs first, its the cheaper. if this doesnt solve it, the coils themselves will need to be tested.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your advice. my question was if i am seating in driver's seat, which plugs are closer to me, 4&8 or 1&5. According to Haynes repair manual 36094 (Page 2D-1) shows 1&5 is far away from the cabin under oil rail, how can i reach them and unscrew coils.which extension do i have to use?
thanks again for your time.
Ok. 1 & 5 are going to be furthest away from you if you are sitting inside. 1 on passenger side, 5 on drivers. The will be a little hard to reach, but doable. the little bolt that holds the coils down will be towards the center of the motor. remobe this little bolt and unplug the electrical connector to the coil. the simple pull on the coil to pop it off the plug. you may have to twist a little and pull at the same time if they have been on there a long time. As for the extension, that is for accessing the sparkplug itself. they sit like 5-6" down inside the hole that the coil pack just came out of. I suggest using an extension on your plug socket for easier reach.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Dear DriveFast 1971
with your help, i got the job done. your advice is workable and valuable. thank you very much.however if the there is a ready made of text or even video of the scenario of the repair concerned and the questions had been replied more accordingly, it will save both of us a lot of time. i had to shuttle between my pc and the van getting to the next step.
sorry i am not familiar with the procedure of the web. i paid $15 and i think it worth it. but whenever i clicked accept, i was asked to pay more.i was quite confused. i saw somebody offered bonus, how to make that? my English is not good for good communication, thank you for your consideration.
you have a good one.

Thanks. glad everything worked out for you. we, the techs, do not have control over how much you pay, or when you pay, we simply answer the questions to the best of our ability. I do believe the bonus is under "JAaward" or something to that effect. it may be in the help section of as well. thanks again. glad you got it done- congratulations!