Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2002 Ford Taurus: the check engine light came..spark plugs..stalled

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus SES and the check engine light came on a few days ago and the car began to stutter. Since then I have had the spark plugs and wires replaced. It is still stuttering, it stalled out twice and now the check engine light is not just on it is flashing. What can be the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The flashing check engine light flashing means the system ( computer or PCM ) is seeing a hard engine miss. This is in most cases caused by a bad spark plug and or spark plug wire. Because you had you spark plugs changed and I would suspect you had after market spark plugs installed. They do not perform well in Ford engines. I would start with having OE Ford plugs installed. This will likely correct your issue.

You are on the right track.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did not that could make a difference, but is it enough to make the car stall out that much? and stutter while being driven or idle?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
The the key here is the light is flashing, yes it can cause all of the above. The flashing light means you have a direct engine miss and you shouldnt even be driving it as it can cause damage to the Cat converters.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, so real quickly if I replace them should I replace the wires again or just the plugs? If this does not work do I need to look into other issues?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Lets start with good quality wires and OE motorcraft spark plugs. I will hang with if there are other issues.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, I do not mind paying honestly, but I have been charged for diagnostic today and received no good answers just a question of whether or not I would like to pay for another hour of tests at $66 each hour!

I found this: Direct Fit Oe Replacement Plug by Motorcraft. Is this good? Also are there specific wires I need or the ones I already bought are fine?

How do I keep in contact with you? Here? If I hit accept do I lose the ability to talk to you?

Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
First off, you simply return to this answer. If you are unsure of the wires you purchased , I would buy the OE Factory wires. The replacement plugs need to be motorcraft.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok lets say I did this, because I don't know which ones my husband purchased and it is still doing the same thing, then what? Anything else it could be? So now I hit Accept?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
You dont hit accept if you are not satisfied. It could be a bad coil ,but Im betting on the wires and or the plugs.( Most common) . Its not about getting your money and running away, its about helping you figure this out. Then if you choose to pay , so be it. Its your call.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, thank you I am new to this and you are being most helpful. I will find out in the next few minutes what plugs he purchased. The wires what are they called I am looking for them online??
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
If it where mine. I would use only OE Motor craft wires as well as plugs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You Ron, I will do this and come back if it does not fix the issue.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Your very welcome, thank you as well.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did I accept correctly?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Yes you did well. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will get those done tomorrow and get back to you.Smile
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Ok I will be here if you need me.