Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

f150: litre..socket on the stud nuts,but it wont turn..lift

Trying to remove exhaust manifolds from 2006 5.4 litre F150 Supercrew.Having a problem with bottom 2 front studs on each side.I can get a socket on the stud nuts,but it won't turn because the 90 degree angle on the swivel is too much and binds it. Any technique or tools you can recommend to help me? Maybe I need to unbolt motormounts and lift motor a couple inches?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello Steamfitter,

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask a question.

This is just not a fun task at all, Been there and cursed through it. I was able to remove the manifolds while the engine was not lifted or any major parts removed. Ford also states it can be accessed for removal. If you just cant get the torque on the rathchet do to access through all possible options using wrenchs and socket swivels and extensions then yes your correct a ening lifted about 2 inches will help. Watch the fan shroud so you dont jam the fan into it and damage the radiator.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I need to loosen any other items besides removing motor mount bolts (any brackets,transmission support bolts,etc?) and where do I support the motor to lift it?
Just lifting the front of the motor a couple of inches should not require anything needed at the trans or engine. Just watch the fan and dont crush the fuel lines or wire harnes sor vacuum lines when the bellhousing comes up to the trans tunnedl in the floorboard and firewall. You can either support the engine at the front using a chain and bolts in excess threaded holes or do it with a jack with a board on the front edge of the oil pan.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have to remove motor mount bolts?
Yes you have to remove the motor mount bolts, sorry my bad, I assumed you knew that since your last reply said "Do I need to loosen any other items besides removing motor mount bolts (any brackets,transmission support bolts,etc?) and where do I support the motor to lift it? "
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did.I misinterpereted your answer.Thanks!
Your welcome, If this has assisted you please do hit accept, you can even reply back after doing so if needed.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience