Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified

Ford F150: Air conditioner compressor

Air conditioner compressor on Ford F150 does not come on when switch pressed
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a 1988 Ford F150 with a 302 CI engine
If you take a jumper wire and jump the two wires at the ac cycling switch on the accumulator will the compressor kick on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not sure what you mean by the accumulator. When the button is pressed on the dash the light comes on but the compressor does not turn.
The accumulator is the black bottle under the hood passenger side firewall. It wil have a switch on it with two wires. Unplug the switch and take a paper clip and jump from side of the connector to the other and see if the compressor clutch kicks in.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The clutch does not click in when I connected a jumper wire across the switch
Check the cycling switch for power on one of the wires when the ac switch is turned on. Do you have power to the switch?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, there is 13 volts at the switch.
ok check for power at the compressor with the switch jumped.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is only 0.27 volts at the compressor.

So there is only .27 volts on the black/yellow wire at the compressor with the cycling switch jumped?

Make sure there is 12 volts on each side of the cycling switch when you jump the wires.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
With a jumper connected from each side of the switch to the pins on the accumulator, there is power at the accumulator but not at the end of the cable at the compressor
run a wire from the cycling switch to the compressor and see if it engages. t sounds like you have a open in that wire. Run the wire from the side that is not powered until you jump the switch to the compressor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I connect a jumper across the connector at the accumulator, the compressor kicks in. When I disconnect the jumper and plug the connector into the accumulator, the compressor clutch won't engage.
ok than you are low on freon and wil need a recharge.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Tim, I appreciate your help.
You are welcome.