Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

Why does my battery light stay on?

Customer Question

Why does my battery light stay on?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Ford?
-What model is your Ford?
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My Ranger is a 2001 and it has 124k miles on it, it is a 3.0 V-6. The alternator had a bad bearing and all of a sudden it got quite, I then noticed the alt. gauge had dropped to the bottom part of the charging rate and the battery light came on.
I replaced the alternator with a rebuilt NAPA one and it didn't change anything. Gauge still stayed down low like it wasn't charging and the battery light was still on. I hooked a ammeter to the battery and it showed 11.5 volts so I hooked the ammeter directly to the alternator and it still showed 11.5 volts. I removed the alternator and took it back the y hooked it up and it was defective. They gave me another alternator and checked it first and it was putting out 14 volts. I installed it and started the truck, trucks gauge still stayed to the bottom side of low charge rate and battery light is still on. Hooked ammeter back up to the alternator and it was putting out 14 volts so I drove it to see my mother and when I went to leave it wouldn't start. It was dark then and I jump started it and went to leave with the lights on and it wanted to die. Had to shut lights off and drive in the dark about 8 blocks to get home, had to coast the last 2 blocks because it died.
The next mourning I installed a new battery thinking it was bad and restarted the truck and guess what? The charge gauge was still to low end and the battery light is still on.
Help?????
Thanks
veesix

Hello Customer

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask a question.

You have some possible sources here like wiring issues or poorly built aftermarket alternators not motorcraft brand. I beleive the concern is a none compatable alternator. By clicking here you can do this short and fairly easy ford pinpoint test. Below are the diagrams and some info on this to aid in diagnosing it with a volt ohm meter.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Moose,
I finally fixed the battery light problem on my 01 Ranger. There was a fuse on the drivers side fender well for the alternator that had blown. Never knew alternators had a fuse before. Sure was an easy fix for my problem. Thanks again.Customer
Glad you got it resolved