Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

On a 2004 lincoln aviator- back hatch lift gate glass- the

On a 2004 lincoln aviator- back hatch lift gate glass- the plastic trim is cracked vertically down the center to the right of the car symbol- can this be repaired without replacing the plastic trim? If so, what would you recommend to secure the two(2 plastic pieces together- i.e., what type of bonding material would be most reliable to minimize/prevent future cracking? My e-mail address is "XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX" in case you cannot answer this question at this time.
The car vin No. is 5LMEU88H24ZJ21657, mileage is abt. 84 k, the vehicle was not abused or in any accident/wrecks. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX 2308 lakewood lane, Chesapeake,Va.,23321, Ph XXX-XXX-XXXX Also, If the plastic piece is not repairable, can it be removed and a new piece applied to the glass without damaging the glass?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 5 years ago.

Ford has a technical service bulletin out on this showing how to replace this without having to replace the lift gate or glass. It includes the instructions and part numbers.

That tsb number is XXXXX

Here is a copy of it. If the images do not come thru let me know

FORD:2002-2005 EXPLORER
LINCOLN:2003-2005 AVIATOR
MERCURY:2002-2005 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:

Some 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2003-2005 Aviator vehicles may exhibit a damaged/cracked plastic applique without liftgate glass damage.

ACTION:

Replace the applique as necessary. It is no longer necessary to replace the entire liftgate glass assembly to correct this condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE:READ THIS ENTIRE BULLETIN BEFORE BEGINNING THE REPAIR.

PAINTING THE NEW APPLIQUE

1. Lightly scuff the applique panel with a Scotchbrite pad on both sides.
  2. Use compressed air and blow off the residue.
  3. Spray and wipe the applique with plastic parts cleaner.
  4. Mix and apply Ford approved basecoat material to the front side only of the applique. Allow appropriate flash time between coats.

NOTE:DO NOT GET ANY PAINT/OVER SPRAY ON BACKSIDE OF APPLIQUE.

5. Mix and apply Ford approved clear coat to the applique. Use manufacturers recommended flash time and final bake time at 60° C (140° F) panel temperature.

REMOVING THE OLD APPLIQUE

1. Note the locations of the existing emblems. Open liftglass and install a double layer of body tape in the opening area around the liftglass opening. This will protect the liftgate area from possible scratches when removing the applique (Figure 1).

Figure 1 - Article 05-24-2

2. Use a T-Handle windshield knife with a one (1) inch blade. DO NOT USE MECHANICAL WINDSHIELD KNIVES. Insert blade in the top left corner between the colored applique and black glass rubber. Pull knife downward (top to bottom). This will cut most of the left side urethane bead. Use a soft tip or dead blow hammer to hammer the sharpened spatula/putty knife to cut the remaining urethane holding the applique. Repeat on right side.

NOTE:DO NOT TRY TO CUT TOP EDGE.

3. Insert the knife into one of the bottom corners between the colored applique and black rim. Pull the knife across the entire bottom edge. Use a spatula/putty knife to remove residual urethane. Do not try to cut the top edge. Completing Steps 2 and 3 have cut the majority of the urethane between the applique and black rim.
  4. Insert a spatula at the bottom corner of the applique and gently begin to pry up to allow you to firmly grip one end of the applique.
  5. Pull and peel the applique from one side to the other.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Scrape or pull all of the old urethane so that it is slightly below the surface of the black rubber mask (razor blade, gasket scraper). Scuff remaining old urethane adhesive with 80-Grit sand paper around the perimeter.
  2. Clean window and back side of new applique with wax and grease remover.
  3. Allow to flash for two (2) minutes.

NOTE:DO NOT USE WINDSHIELD URETHANE.

4. Install one (1) of the two (2) Motorcraft TA-9 Plastic Bonding Adhesive cartridges in the application gun Rotunda #501-040. Squeeze the out some material to level the plungers and install the nozzle.

NOTE:BEAD SIZE IS DEPENDENT UPON AMOUNT OF OLD URETHANE THAT IS REMOVED. TOP OF BEAD SHOULD EXTEND APPROXIMATELY 6.5 MM (0.25 INCH) BEYOND EDGE OF TROUGH. THIS REPAIR WILL REQUIRE ONE TO TWO (1-2) TUBES OF ADHESIVE. THE WORKABLE TIME OF THE ADHESIVE IS APPROXIMATELY TEN (10) MINUTES.

5. Apply 6.5 mm (0.25 inch) bead of Motorcraft TA-9 adhesive to inner side of the trough the old urethane was injected in. This will keep squeeze out to a minimum when the applique is installed.
  6. Apply new painted applique and firmly press by hand over the entire adhesive area. Clean off squeeze out adhesive immediately with wax and grease remover.
  7. Verify applique to top rubber mask alignment quickly as you have eight to ten (8-10) minutes working time (Figure 2). Open lift glass. Using extremely light pressure apply two (2) small clamps on the top corner ends to hold it in place.

Figure 2 - Article 05-24-2

NOTE:EXCESSIVE CLAMP PRESSURE CAN CAUSE DEPRESSION IN THE APPLIQUE. BE SURE THAT THE APPLIQUE IS CENTERED, WITH AN EVEN GAP ON EACH SIDE.

8. Apply tape, 2" wide X 6" in length every 4 inches vertically, starting on the bottom and then the top edge.
  9. Remove clamps on edge and replace with masking tape immediately after Step 8.
  10. Apply the 2" wide tape the full length horizontally of top and bottom, wrapping around backside.
  11. Allow a minimum of forty five (45) minutes at 21° C (70° F) dry time and remove tape.
  12. Install new emblems.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
TA-9Motorcraft Plastic Bonding Adhesive (Two (2) Tubes Required)
4C5Z-78402A30-Applique - Aviator
BAPTM
4C5Z-7842528-AAAEmblem - Lincoln
1L2Z-78402A30-Applique - Explorer
CAPTM
1L2Z-7842528-AAEmblem - Ford
1L2Z-78402A30-Applique - Mountaineer
DAPTM
1L2Z-7842528-EAEmblem - Mountaineer Name Plate Lettering
2L9Z-7842528-AAEmblem - Mercury
2L2Z-7842528-AAEmblem - Mercury Premier
1L2Z-7842528-PAEmblem - Mercury V8
1L2Z-7842528-RAEmblem - Mercury AWD
2L2Z-7842528-BAEmblem - Mercury Advance Trac

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Chuck, I had to shut down the computer and window, but did receive your answer. The figures in the answer did not show or were not viewable and I'm wondering what caused the original applique to crack, and can a regular auto body shop do this repair. If that isn't recommended, what do you think a reasonable cost would be to accomplish the repair you have given in your ans.
Expert:  Chuck replied 5 years ago.

Here are your pics. Yes any body shop should be able to handle it.

The parts will run you about $160 and labor should be between 180 and 200 I suspect.

graphic

graphic

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance