Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Setting codes U0100 and sometimes U0073

Customer Question

setting codes U0100 and sometimes U0073
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Ford?
-What model is your Ford?
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2008 F350, Super Duty, 6.4L 50,000KM, Ease Diagnostic Scan, Mitchell OnDemand, Codes U0100, U0073, HS CAN Module Interupt. Vehicle is Later Production, thus enhanced security on crank circuit. VCM appears to disable crank relay, until DTC is cleared. DTC is not accompanied with any other DTC, and is somewhat intermittant. There is no other aftermarket add ons, ie. remote start, or performance enhancement

Hello Customer

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask a question.

Both of these codes should just be a result of a scan tool which looks to be unable to communicate with this vehicle correct.

Is it running poorly?

Has it been to a ford dealership for this warranty issue?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The vehicle runs fine, and communication is possible with no trouble to all controllers. No it has not been to a Ford Dealership for this or any other warranty repair. This vehicle does have a 8" Pro Comp lift kit which was installed by the selling Ford Dealer. I suspect it may be the ABS controller, but it is fine with no codes. Appearantly I am advised that in some on-line forum there is mention of a similar problem, cause found was a coolant leak on to the ABS controller main wiring harness. There is no appearant coolant leaks anywhere on this engine. When the code goes from pending to hard, of course the PCM controlled fan clutch is enabled, which is the indicator that the fault has just occured.
Give me the vin# XXXXX I will see if I can find any messages on this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

First thing, your vehicle shows to still have the open recall where as the PCM and instrument cluster need to be reprogrammed which very well can be related to the concern your haveing.

Here are the only 2 messages for these codes using your vin#.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Perhaps you can supply the bulletien, or specific documentation to support your statement about an open recall supporting PCM and IPC reprogram. We have not found any such documentation. This vehicle will be back in the shop in 2 days, as the customer is using it now on a short holiday.

Here is the ford oasis report for this vehicles vin#.

I have not heard back from you, so I assume you are needing more assistance on this matter, if so please do reply so I can finish this question. My goal is to have nothing but satisfied customers.

Thanks Hope to hear from you soon, Chris