Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

2006 F250: 6.0l..Diesel..hard starting..it warms up all seems well

My 2006 F250 6.0l Diesel is hard starting in morning. It will not shift for the longst time from gear to gear. After it warms up all seems well. Turbo is working.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer Any check engine lights? O/D light blinking? Does the trans concern seem to go right along with the engine concern? Does it smoke in the morning? Have you had all the recalibrations done to the truck? Any mods? How many miles? Still under warranty? Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no check engine light. no O/D light. Yes, the trans seems to control the RPM's, No smoke. No recalibration. No mods. 99600 miles. I bought an extend warranty 2 years / 24000 miles

Check engine light was on but I cleane dthe mass air sensor with cleaner and light went out. No light since. I seem like some sensor might be out that instructs the the turbo how to act when cold.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there some sort of cold shift sensor? My dad had an 04 F250 6.0L. It would spool up and down to warm up -10 degrees below zero. it's 60 degrees
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
Hi yes there is a trans fluid temperature sensor that if it is bad enough could give you both the trans concern and the feel of a drive ability concern, if the truck thinks that the fluid temp is to cold then yes it decides its shift strategy with that reading so yes if this sensor was bad then it could cause the shift issues. But I do not think that it would cause the extended cranking in the morning.. How long and how often does this happen? There is an Exhaust Back pressure sensor located at the end of a little metal tube that comes off the left hand exhaust manifold. Inspect this connector and the top of the sensor for any corrosion or damaged wires this was common and this is an input for the turbo. With a scan tool you could check allot more then we are going to be able to do without one. So if it is still under warranty then the dealer should be fixing these problems. Steve
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D