William
William, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified Technician

I have 1995 Ford ranger splash, ABS light comes on when I first

I have 1995 Ford ranger splash, ABS light comes on when I first start the truck, however there are times i feel the pedal go 1/2 way to the floor and I hear the ABS motor kick in. One year ago I had to replace the front calipers and the ABS motor bled the brakes thought every thing was fine one week after it started acting up again. No action on my part for a year 'cause I was deployed and now trying to fix this thing.
Category: Ford
Expert:  William replied 5 years ago.

Hello Karl! Welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to assist you.

First I will need some information from you. 2 orXXXXX When exactly did this problem first manifest itself? Was any other work performed about the same time as this started happening? Any warning lights on dash?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it isXXXXX the left caliper was hanging up causingthe motor to kick in and the light was coming on at the same time, thus I changed both calipers. No brake warning lights just the ABS light
Expert:  William replied 5 years ago.

Did the ABS lamp go out after that repair?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
only for one week then intermitant now it comes on after I start the truck I did check the sensors for debris and it seemed to clean. It did sit for @ 6 months while I was deployed.
Expert:  William replied 5 years ago.

When you say the ABS light comes on when you start the truck... It comes on and stays on, without moving the vehicle? I'm sorry for stringing these questions out, my mind wasn't focused for a minute or two.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it stays on, then "at" times it is off for a few miles then comes back on you can hear the ABS motor kick in when you roll to a complete stop, and it feels like it stays on for some odd reason Sorry I did not tell you this before
Expert:  William replied 5 years ago.

Ok. The reason that question is important is because your truck's abs computer will start from scratch every time you start the truck. If the light turns on immediately after you start the truck and stays on without moving the truck, the failure is what is known as a hard code, or a constant failure. Because of this, it will be necessary to have the truck's computer scanned so as to be able to "see" what the truck "sees". Once you have the code(s), you will have a starting point for your diagnosis. Your symptoms are consistent with wheel speed sensor and/or air gap issues however without the code, you would be just guessing. And guessing at this stuff gets expensive real quick. Let me know if I can help anymore. Get the code and I will be more than happy to walk you through the diagnostic procedures if you are up to it!

--William

William, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Sir:
        I scanned the trucks ABS computer "no Codes" hard or otherwise I did find however the left front sensor was loose and not adjusted properly,the tone ring was dirty, the end of the sensor was a little nicked and damaged, I cleaned and readjusted works better but still need new sensors,ordered. I must appologize for not accepting the answer quicker. Thanks have a good day.
V/R Customer