Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers

2005 ford explorer: you reset the alarm system..switch under

How do you reset the alarm system on a 2005 ford explorer. the alarm was activated and now the engine will not start. I had heard that there was an alarm reset switch under the dash.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Is this a factory alarm or aftermarket?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is a factory alarm Apparently my son was playing in my wifes car and put the key in the ignition and kept turning it off and on. She says she thought she hear the alarm go off and now when we put the key in and try to start it it does nothing. I also noticed that the alarm light on the dash beats very fast now.
The problem with the Explorer is that it doesn't recognize the programmed key now.It has lost it's programming and will need to be re-programmed. The key may be damaged internally where the chip is located so it may have to have a new key programmed.If you have an extra key you can check to see if it works.If a second key doesn't work,then there may be a fault in the key transponder that is used to monitor the chip in the key.
Regardless ,you will need to have a ford dealer program or diagnose PATs (passive anti theft ) system.

There isn't a switch on factory alarms that can bypass this feature unfortunately.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
when i put the key in the ignition and turn it the radio and lights all come on but it wont start. Could that still be the case? and also do they have to have the car to re program a key or can i just take in the vin? thanks
Yes ,the PATS system is activated when the theft light is flashing.They will need the car to connect the diagnostic tool to it to run the re-programming.