Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers

98 Ford escort: code- misfire cylinder 1..coil pack..injectors

98 Ford escort- code- misfire cylinder 1. I have replace the coil pack, wires, plugs. Checked the injectors. Every time I have done something the car runs better for about two weeks and the check engine light goes away. then the light comes back and the problem returns. The last thing I have done is use fuel system cleaner on every other fill up. the car runs much better at lower speeds. The only issue was sputtering on inclines and speeding up to traffic from on ramps. this however was much better. Now about two weeks later the sputtering is getting worse at higher speeds and inclines are worse as well. Also I noticed after I used the cleaner and the original improvement happened, the car didn't start as quickly as it used to. Starts but takes a couple extra turns to fire up.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

I suggest rechecking the spark plugs.I have seen several of these with similar concerns that reoccur like this. The spark plugs can develope cracks in the porcelain during installation and will act up occasionally. Other than that you will need to recheck the other ignition components for faults or perform a compression test on the engine for possible internal concerns.