Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Im changing spark plugs on 2002 Ford f150 with a 5.4 triton

Im changing spark plugs on 2002 Ford f150 with a 5.4 triton and i need to remove fuel rail, i have removed 2 bolts that hold the rswil in place but wont come off the injectors, how do i do that? Changing these plugs is not fun!

Hello Customer

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask a question.

Why are you pulling the fuel rail?

Which plugs cant you access?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i cant get at the 3 plugs on driver side cause the fuel rail goes right over the top, so i have removed 2 bolts that hold the rail but it wont come off the injectors

Just so you know fuel removal is not required to replace the plugs, it can be done with multiple size ratchet extensions and a swivel socket/universal socket. If you still choose to remove the rail then here are ford directions on how to do it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, in the case you did please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button shown on your screen. This is necessary so I get paid and receive credit for my work. Your question will not close after an accept, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional comments to add, then please do so, Take note in many cases I am not informed or aware of your skills or knowledge or what has been done in the past unless you tell me. I am providing my best answer based on what you have written, and sometimes there is a misunderstanding which a reply can resolve. Be courteous in understanding I did not build the vehicle or have any relations in its design or any control over past repairs, so please don't hold me accountable for the failure you have experienced.

If you reply and I have not gotten back with you then please understand I may be helping others or off to work or bed, I will get back with you as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So your saying that i should be able to remove coil packs after removing the screws that hold them in place and wiggle them out of the way so I can get an extension about 4 inches down to the spark plug and get the plugs out, if so is this the same for both sides?
I can tell you I have never removed a fuel rail to replace the plugs on the 4.6 or 5.4 or 6.8 on any ford vehicle, I work for a dealer and tune up on this engine occurs about every other day. I know it may appear it cant be done but the coils and plugs will come out without the fuel rail removed. You can twist the injectors if this helps in gaining in better access if needed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks I will give it a shot thanks
your welcome