fordman312009
fordman312009, Ford Technician
Experience:  all ford training done asset grad.
17025784

2002 Ford Taurus: compressor..clutch..3.0l DOHC V-6

I want to replace the A/C compressor clutch on my 2002 Ford Taurus w/ 3.0l DOHC V-6 without evacuating the refridgent or having to disconect the refridgent lines. I am looking for the procedure to accomplish this.are you aware of a procedure
if your just replacing the clutch just take off the 8mm bolt and remove the clutch but beware theres a spacer washer inside there ok and thats what you do reuse the washe and go from there ok
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The compressor is still installed in the car I am looking for the procedure to remove the compressor clutch from the compressor without removing the refridgent lines and having to vacuum the system.

ok this is the service book instructions and it says to remove the compressor but you should try what i said to try first then you wont have to evacuate the ac system

SECTION 412-03: Air Conditioning 2002 Taurus/Sable Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Procedure revision date: 06/23/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clutch and Clutch Field Coil

Special Tool(s) Remover, Compressor Pulley
412-001 (T71P-19703-B)
Installer, A/C Compressor Coil
412-065 (T89P-19623-EH)
Holding Fixture, Compressor Clutch
412-103 (T95L-19703-AH)
Installer, A/C Compressor Field Coil
412-078 (T91L-19623-CH)
Remover, A/C Compressor Field Coil
412-067 (T89P-19623-FH)

Removal

Remove the A/C compressor (19703). For additional information, refer to Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor — 3.0L (2V) or Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor — 3.0L (4V) in this section.
Remove the A/C clutch hub retaining bolt.
Hold the A/C clutch hub with the special tool.
Remove the bolt.

Remove the A/C clutch disc and hub and the spacer (19D648).
Thread an 8 x 1.25 mm (0.04 in) bolt into the A/C clutch disc and hub to force it from the compressor shaft.
Lift the A/C clutch disc and hub and the spacer from the compressor shaft.

Remove the pulley snap ring.

Remove the A/C compressor pulley.
Install the special tool.
Remove the compressor pulley.

CAUTION: Do not use air tools. The A/C compressor clutch field coil can be easily damaged.

Remove the A/C compressor clutch field coil.
Install the special tool on the nose opening of the A/C compressor.
Install the special tool.

Installation

NOTE: If installing a new A/C compressor, the A/C clutch components should be reused unless obvious signs of damage are found. If excessive grooving is found, a new A/C clutch disc and hub and A/C compressor pulley must be installed together. Otherwise, each component can be installed individually where needed.

Visually inspect the A/C clutch disc and hub, A/C compressor pulley and A/C clutch field coil for damage.
Inspect for physical damage including cracked or melted components or discoloration due to excessive heat.
Inspect for excessive wear including grooving in the A/C clutch disc and hub or A/C compressor pulley that is more than fingernail depth.
Inspect for roughness in the A/C compressor pulley bearing.
Clean the A/C compressor clutch field coil and pulley bearing mounting surfaces.

Install the A/C compressor clutch field coil.
Place the A/C compressor clutch field coil on the A/C compressor with the A/C compressor clutch field coil electrical connector correctly positioned.
Place the special tool on the A/C compressor clutch field coil.
Place the special tool on the special tool.
Use the special tool to install the A/C compressor clutch field coil until bottomed completely against the A/C compressor.

NOTE: The A/C clutch pulley is a tight fit on the A/C compressor head; it must be correctly aligned during installation.

Install the A/C clutch pulley.

Install the pulley snap ring with the bevel side out.

Place one nominal thickness A/C clutch hub spacer inside the clutch hub spline opening.

Install the A/C clutch.

Install the A/C clutch hub retaining bolt.
Tighten the bolt.

Measure and adjust the clutch air gap by removing or adding A/C clutch hub spacers.

Install the A/C compressor. For additional information, refer to Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor — 3.0L (2V) or Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor — 3.0L (4V) in this section.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. Thank you for the info. What I am looking for; is what do I need to do so that I can get to the compressor so that I can accomplish what you just sent me. I can't physically put a wrench on the 8mm bolt. What all do I have to remove to get it done.
to be honest i always did it on the rack standing under it with the wheel off and some plastic shields and its still really tight i use a 8mm wrench the belt might hold the clutch from turning its a tuff job but it can be done