Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

1996 Ford Windstar: I replace the ignition switch

Customer Question

how do I replace the ignition switch on my 1996 Ford Windstar? The key broke off in it and part of the key is inside the switch.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.

Here is the shop manual procdeure for both a functional switch and a non functional switch.

Section 11-04: Steering Column1996 Windstar Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATIONProcedure revision date: 05/19/2000

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder

Lock Cylinder Functional

Removal

1. The following procedure applies to vehicles that have a functional ignition switch lock cylinder (11582) and keys. If the key numbers are known, the correct key can be made. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301). For additional information, refer to Section 14-01.

1. Turn the ignition switch lock cylinder to the RUN position.

1. Place a 3.17-mm (1/8-inch) diameter wire pin or small drift punch in the hole in the steering column shroud under the ignition switch lock cylinder. Depress the retaining pin while pulling out on the ignition switch lock cylinder to remove it from the housing of the steering column.

Installation

1. Install the ignition switch lock cylinder by turning it to the RUN position and depressing the retaining pin. Insert the ignition switch lock cylinder into the steering column housing. Make sure the ignition switch lock cylinder is fully seated and aligned in the interlocking washer before turning the key to the OFF position. This will permit the retaining pin of the ignition switch lock cylinder to extend into the hole of the steering column.

1. Using the key, rotate the ignition switch lock cylinder to make sure of correct mechanical operation in all positions.

1. Connect the battery ground cable.

Lock Cylinder Non-Functional

Removal

1. The following procedure applies to vehicles in which the ignition switch lock cylinder is inoperative and the ignition switch lock cylinder cannot be rotated due to a lost or broken key, unknown key number, or a cap that has been damaged or broken to the extent that the ignition switch lock cylinder cannot be rotated. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 14-01.

1. Using a channel lock or vise grip pliers, twist the cap until it separates from the ignition switch lock cylinder.

1. Remove the upper steering column shroud. For additional information, refer to steering column shroud-upper in this section.

1. Using a 3/8-inch diameter drill, drill down the middle of the ignition lock key slot approximately 44 mm (1-3/4 inch) until the ignition switch lock cylinder breaks loose from the breakaway base of the ignition switch lock cylinder. Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder and drill shavings from the steering column lock cylinder housing (3511).

1. Remove the bearing retainer (3C610), the steering column lock housing bearing (3E700) and the steering column lock gear (3E717). Thoroughly clean all drill shavings and other foreign materials from the casting.

1. Carefully inspect the steering column lock cylinder housing for damage from the above operation. If damage is apparent, install a new steering column lock cylinder housing.

Installation

1. Install a new steering column lock cylinder housing, if damaged.

1. Install the steering column lock gear, the steering column lock housing bearing and the bearing retainer.

1. Install the upper steering column shroud. For additional information, refer to steering column shroud-upper in this section.

1. Install a new ignition switch lock cylinder as outlined.

1. Connect the battery ground cable.

1. Check operation of the ignition switch lock cylinder.