Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

How do I clear the TBC fault on a Ford f-350 super duty It

Customer Question

How do I clear the TBC fault on a Ford f-350 super duty? It came on while towing a trailer that had a brake malfunction.
Category: Ford
Expert:  powerstroker24 replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. If your message center still says there is a TBC fault then it still sees the problem. If the trailer is not connected at this time then the problem is most likely in the truck wiring. Is your truck wired up for a fifth wheel or goose neck or does it only have the factory bumper connections?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We pull bumper pull trailers weekly and this problem only occurred after I hooked to one of our trailers that lost the brakes the week before,. I was pulling it to the repair shop when the "fault" occurred. I feel with absolute certain that the truck wiring is OK because both of our Fords are doing the same thing after towing this particular trailer this week. Hope this helps...thanks.
Okay so I believe what you are saying is that the TBC fault shows with this trailer HOOKED up to the truck correct? If this is the case we obviously have a wiring issue with the trailer and likely a short. These are most of the relatively easy to find by doing a visual inspection of the trailer wiring. Let me know if we are on the right track here, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The TBC fault still shows on the trucks when you first start them, but I can clear it by pressing the reset button on the information center, but it comes back when you restart the truck again.
Well that being said we have a issue in the trailer brake control system. This is a networked module which means it will give DTC's or trouble codes when scanned with a capable scanner(one that will scan trailer brake systems). How many miles are on the trucks?